1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hat help, please and type of fur :-) Pics added

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by themerchantsofvintage, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Does the first hat with fur have a style name? 60s or 70s? Type of fur? It's softer and fluffier than fox.

Is there a style name for the 2nd hat? All I can come up with is flat topped fedora :USING: Late 60s, early 70s?

Thanks in advance!!

IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg IMG_0751.jpg

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I'm unable to take a good look tonight however I will do so tomorrow.

3. Thanks, Caryn. No rush ;)

4. peaceful vintage

Thank you for waiting. Your first is angora rabbit.

The second I'm not quite sure of. What does the texture feel like and are you able to push the fur back against the grain easily?

5. Thanks, Caryn :)

The second one I believe is a fur wool felt ;) I think it will be hard to determine from what animal.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  6. Here is a close up. Cannot push back against grain easily - kinda rough.

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Not sure which it is as far as which fur felt, but they are both really fun hats! Love that geometric patterning!

8. peaceful vintage

I don't think that is felt. I am still searching to see if I can find out more about it.

Well, I searched quite a bit and it might be a felt hat. It does look pretty smooth as a whole when going in the direction it's supposed to go, just not close up.
    It must consist of wool fibers though. I am not sure what kind of wool it might be. Again, hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

I think the first one might be 80s does 40s but I don't specialize in hats themselves so Barbara or one of our other members who knows hats would know more than me on the dating.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  9. Thanks, MJ :)

I think you're right it is some sort of wool felt. I thought you were seeing something I wasn't yesterday.

As for dating, the first hat has a label that does not have an area code; so I think we are no later than early 70s.
    And I suspect the second one is close to that as well.

Thanks again :)

peaceful vintage likes this.