1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever purchased any vintage-inspired or repro clothing?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Feb 20, 2012.

1. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I did used to buy 60s dresses that had a flapper styling to save for my Halloween racks. I would let them know they weren't 20s but the look was right and I would help them accessorize with long pearl necklaces from the 60s as well and those cloche hats from the 60s or turban hats from the 60s, with a great brooch at the front. Sometimes, I would also sell nice old pieces of ribbon that they could use on their forehead with a glamourous egret feather!

It was much easier to steer people over to those items priced under $25, rather than the real beaded items.

2. Like Karin, I've bought things that looked vintage in cut/style, just because I liked them. They weren't specifically "repro" or even vintage-inspired (a la the current Mad Men line at Banana Republic). An example is an Isaac Mizrahi for Target dress I bought for about $35 several years ago. Decidedly vintage silhouette (nipped waist, wide neckline with short sleeves, full skirt). It is incredibly well made, regardless of the price, which is likely a fluke, given that most Target stuff disintegrates in a matter of weeks, of course. It was certainly the bargain of the century. Can't find a photo of it.

As for reproductions, well, if you were (or hired) a good seamstress/tailor, that person could reproduce any vintage design you wanted just as well and easily as they could any modern design (either by copying an existing dress or working from a vintage pattern). The quality would depend entirely on the fabrics you chose and the skill of the tailor. The bonus would be that you could, as noted above, make the garment comfy (1% lycra makes all the difference, doesn't it?), washable, etc., without sacrificing excellent construction.

So now I think I've talked myself into having someone make me a dress from a vintage pattern. LOL. But somehow, it just wouldn't be the same. No, I don't think I'd buy "repro" INSTEAD of real vintage, because it doesn't have the history. There's no story (known or unknown) behind a new dress. I'm sentimental about that aspect of vintage. I also wouldn't have something reproduced to prevent a vintage dress from being "used up." Can't take it with you, after all. And unless it belongs in a museum, or you are saving it specifically to pass down through your family or similar, it belongs on a body (IMHO).

3. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

In my responses I did not understand repro to be 80s as 50s or 70s as 20s.
    I call repros items made in last 5 years to look 1950s or another time period. Current items.
    I apologize if misunderstood.

4. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I had two custom made re pro dresses made about 8 years ago in the 20's style they are fabulous and cost back the £150 each but they either could not or did not have the skill to put the true 20's detail into them for that price so they are 1st class quality but just lack something.

The off the peg one are very limited in design and thus I never found a single one that would fit there noting for the fuller figure as far as I can see.

A lot of my moderlling friends buy repro becuse they did not want to second the time looking around vintage dealers for ones that they liked and in there size.

it easier to click a mouse and it's all done and a couple of weeks the post man comes,

I think the repro one becuse they are made for a price do not have just the same look of fit as original vintage, I sure they done the research and know what people are willing to pay.

I think most of the problems lies with the customers not fully understanding the sizes and how the style might not fit them and been use to these day trying things on in M& S or if they get home and do not fit as require taking it back , which you cannot do as early with vintage repro.

Also ladies do not tend to accessories repro in the same way as original vintage and not always finding the right period item to make the whole look work a 50 repro dress and a pair of seamed stocking and they got a full vintage look, in my opinion that not quite right, where the hat, gloves and back ?
    My opinion is if you wear vintage then you should go for the full look even id it's an original or repro dress.

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks again for all your thoughts and experiences. I give myself away as a possible vintage snob by saying that for me repro vintage is somewhat akin to hearing a cover band do Jimi Hendrix, rather than hearing Jimi Hendrix. That's hyperbole, but you get my emotion. I have read and heard a number of compelling reasons for repro. I also have learned that not all repro vintage is of the same quality.

I do consider vintage-inspired clothing another matter, and follow creative takes on vintage style with interest. Foofoogal, I don't personally see repro vintage and vintage-inspired as the same thing, and was looking for thoughts on both.

I tried my best to get a start on this in my blog, but I feel there is quite a bit more to discuss in a future post. People certainly have opinions on the subject!

6. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

I'm REALLY late to this but I want to weigh in as well. Being the fabric snob that I am and a former custom dressmaker I have a very hard time appreciating modern repro clothing. The fabrics that were used in decades past were often of beautiful quality... lusterous cotton sateens, rich pure woolens, high grade silks... Mongolian Cashmere (swoon)... Fabric affects everything about a garment and there is no way modern producers can afford to use such quality yard goods, not unless they charge hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
    The older construction techniques are also too expensive to reproduce today. I am a sucker for beautiful dressmaker details like hand bound buttonholes and hand set linings. I love novelty details as well...unusual collars and pockets. Not to mention older handwork such as embroidery, beading and applique. To me the sillhouette of a garment is just a small part of it's visual appeal. Having said that. I completely understand why people buy repro clothing especially for dancing or costume reasons, older clothing needs to be worn with care and that is not always possible. I also concede the points that were made about bathing suits but I still love the old ones better :)

I'll check out your blog Maggie. Great topic!

Melody

7. bycin

bycin Guest

H&M uses vintage pieces for their inspiration. Sold them a 30s blouse. Just bought a little thing from Banana Republic who's all over the Mad Men era.