1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Jewelry Experts - ID question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ivycompany, Feb 24, 2021.

1. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Hi, Eileen!
    Thanks for tagging me, Maggie!
    Your lovely necklace has a bit of a Selro/Selini look to it. I can't be positive, but they did quite a bit of unmarked work. So did Hobé. (but it doesn't look like Hobé to me.

I might be able to tell you more, if you can post a pic of the back of the necklace charms. Also, if you can show what else was in the bag, that MIGHT help, but might help. Do you see anything else in the bag that resembles this.

Lucky find! Ooh, I wish I found some of those marked Hobe pieces!!

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I can see Selini/Selro in the figures but the rest of it doesn't look familiar to me - and I am not a Selini/Selro collector so am not the best person to comment. This is the only set I ever handled - I repaired it.

[​IMG]

You could try doing a search for Selini/Selro and see if your necklace comes up. It does not look like Hobé to me, either.

5. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Oh, Linn, that a fabulous, classic set!!! You have the BEST jewelry!!

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Janine -

It's not mine. I repaired it for a dealer friend. The Asian Princesses needed glueing as I remember.

As mentioned - I don't collect Selro/Seilini. My collection is mostly earlier and mostly Art Deco and Retro. (But there is a bit of little bit of glitz, and a lot of Bakelite and colorful bangles.)

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I get a Selro/Selini vibe also. Here's an article on the "Costume Jewelry Collectors International" site you may want to c heck out (it links to another article on the site as well, with history about the company).

Distantdetails likes this.
  8. Hard to tell who actually made this piece. I have a number of Selro pieces and this doesn't quite look like Selro to me. During the 50s and 60s, the Buddha motif was really popular especially for costume jewelry charm bracelets. Napier made charm bracelets with Buddha charms. Not saying this looks at all like Napier and don't think it is. It could just be an unmarked beauty made at the time by one of the many costume jewelry manufacturers with a popular motif. BTW, I have a Hobe set that is not typical of their work and would not have ever guessed it was Hobe unless it was signed. It is an Egyptian design and the set actually looked a little like Selro. Maybe jewelry manufacturers who made Selro designs made my Hobe piece and Hobe put their name on it. The various manufacturers made jewelry for many different designers to attach their signatures to the pieces. I've seen something like your piece, Eileen, but can't place it right off. The chain links look very familiar, too, as well as the Buddhas. As Janine has already said, it might be helpful to see the back of this necklace. As I always say, if jewelry could only talk.......

cmpollack and Distantdetails like this.
  9. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

Thank all.
    Here's the back of the charms. They have two different hatch markings. It makes sense that they may have been "on trend" and designed by any of a number of designers while the Asian theme was being made by Hobe and Selro.
    It was in an estate jewelry collection & I bought the whole box. There was one other lovely Hobe marked chain swag necklace in the box.
    Anyway, I'll likely just list it as unmarked. <3

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021