1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helma, made in England

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Anne.M, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Anne.M

Anne.M Registered Guest

Hi, I hope someone here can help me identifying this jacket I thrifted.
    It is a dark blue jacket with a label ‘Helma’ made in England.
    Also, it is made of Alcantara from Iganto in Italy ( number 1675112)
    I cannot find any info on this brand, but it looks so well made that I think there should be more pieces of this brand out there. I would love to learn more about the history of the brand to give me some more context.
    Thank you in advance!

Anne :)

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I had a look at the history of alcantara - I remembered that we got an alcantara sofa ca. in the late 80s, and it was all the rage then.
    There's only one company in Italy that produces alcantara, and it was called "Iganto" from 1973 to 1981, and the first use of the material in fashion accessories was in 1976, all according to their company history:
    Code:
    https://www.alcantara.com/en/story/2/index.do
    So I think that narrows the dating of your jacket down quite a bit - and the label font also looks fine in my view for that time.

Anne.M likes this.
  3. Anne.M

Anne.M Registered Guest

Thank you for helping, Midge. I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this :) I also thought seventies so now I decide it will be late seventies :)
    Thanks again!!