1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: 1930s gown, replacing self cover buttons and collectability

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cloudsofviolet, Sep 17, 2020.

1. cloudsofviolet

cloudsofviolet Registered Guest

So I know collectors generally want to receive things in as original condition as possible. And I’m not experienced in alterations whatsoever.

my dilemma is that the gown below is in great shape except the fabric on the buttons has staining and lots of wear. Would the item have collector value anyways? I think it is homemade. So Should I replace the buttons with new self cover ones?

it has great sleeves and lace and is a great size, fits M

Attached Files:

2. The dress in the last picture doesnt look the same. Where are the buttons?
    I am not sure I am seeing 1930s.
    If there are numerous buttons that are damaged, I would sell it as is and let the next owner replace them with the kind they would want.

3. cloudsofviolet

1st pic is the rear. Last pic is the front. Maybe 40s?

The buttons are on the center of the back from neck to waist with an area where there are no buttons

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It certainly could be 1930s, but later in the decade versus early, or early 40s. Is it pink? Is it a full length gown?

I agree that if it is only the buttons that are flawed, I would sell it as is and let the new owner replace them. It look to be really pretty.

5. cloudsofviolet

Yes pink and yes full length. It is a pale pink. It was a smidge deeper, but I did soak it for like 48 hrs so it lightened. Should I disclose the lightening in the listing? It’s not apparent at all

6. Blondzai

Blondzai Registered Guest

It’s beautiful! You should disclose ALL flaws in the listing even ones that aren’t very noticeable. I agree with the others that you should sell it as is.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Were the buttons already damaged before you gave it a soak? These covered buttons have a metal backing so they will rust when washed.
    I would sell as is disclosing any flaws. It is a very pretty piece, I see late 30s as well.

8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Adorable