1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! 1950's dress cleaning problem.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aphrodite_Nymphia, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Aphrodite_Nymphia

Aphrodite_Nymphia Registered Guest

Help! 1950\'s dress cleaning problem.

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a cleaning problem that I have. I recently bought a lovely 1950's black, full skirted shirtwaister dress. I love it, despite my mother commenting that it looks like something her granny would have worn, I say that's the point anyway..., it is perfect, fits like a dream, no rips, tears or anything like that EXCEPT for the smell. It has this werid fusty smell that I just can't seem to shift and under the arms it reeks of sweat. In fact it is so bad, I had to take it off very quickly when trying it on to prevent myself being sick! Anyway I had it dry cleaned and this took pretty much did away with the fusty smell, but it barely made a dint on the smell of sweat. So now I don't know what to do, I remember a thread on here not so long ago about cleaning and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how I might get this smell out or would I be better cutting my losses and making it into a circle skirt instead?

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Did you try plain old white vinegar? I find that it does a lot with stench and does not hurt if it doesn't.

IF its a shirtwaist that is cotton, it can easily be washed in vinegar, if another material, you can dab it with vinegar with a cotton swab in a very tiny area for colorfastness.

maybe someone else will be along to give better advice

Chris

3. I've heard people swear by vinegar as well, but you do have to rinse with cold water. Ionly mention that as I had a roommate that thought I was crazy to use vinegar because when she tried it she smelled. I asked her if she rinsed well and she said, "Rinsed?"

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Definately wash it. Sweat just doesn't come out with dry cleaning because sweat is water based and you need water to remove it. If its cotton or linen it should clean up perfectly. If its rayon then its a little more problematic because it may not wash well. If its a nylon or some other kind of synthetic, the smell may not come out, synthetics hold smells really well.

5. Aphrodite_Nymphia

Aphrodite_Nymphia Registered Guest

Thanks everyone, I will definately try washing it and the white vinegar. I am nearly sure it is cotton too, that is part of the reason I took it to the dry cleaner, the man who owns it is excellent at identifying fabric. The dry cleaning did remove some stubborn looking stains though so perhaps a good wet wash will do the rest.

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Let us know how it all works out!

Chris