1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! 1980s NM designers

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lipglossavenger, Dec 6, 2004.

1. lipglossavenger

lipglossavenger Registered Guest

I have been beating myself up for this for ages, and I finally decided to try to do some research on the topic tonight. When I was in college, my Aunt gave me a beautiful cocktail dress from the 80s with a Neiman Marcus designer label, ("xxx for Neiman Marcus.") I ended up selling it to a vintage resale shop because I was extremely broke. When the woman in the store saw the label, she gasped, grabbed a co-worker, and said something to the effect of, "Oh my gosh... It's an xxx." I assume it was from the 1980s because it was a black halter dress with hot pink crinoline underneath. I've tried to do some research to find names of NM designer labels from that period, but I'm not having much success. Can anyone help?

2. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

I assume by XXX you mean you dont remeber the name, do you remember any part of it?

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I will have to think on it. They had many in house designers that would never have appeared on any label. They would go to a lot of fashion shows, and then contract different designers, particularly smaller ones and some other manufacturers to provide certain items for their "brand" but these folks would not be named, and their in house designers would not be named either.

We have a little bit about Neiman Marcus in the label resource and a few labels there, but don't know if its the one you are talking about.

Stanley Marcus also wrote several books, Minding the Store, Quest for the Best, His & Hers: The Fantasy World of the Neiman Marcus Catalogue. I don't know if any of those talk about designers.

I just had an idea. Why not go to first babylonmall.com, and then also try it on froogle.com and search for this exact phrase with quotes:

80s "for Neiman Marcus"

You might find a whole slew of things that were "for neiman Marcus" and one might ring a bell!

Chris

4. lipglossavenger

Unfortunately I don't remember any part of the name. I feel that if I saw it, I would recognize it, but I have had no luck so far on Google, Froogle, or Ebay.

5. Patentleathershoes

I meant not searching for the name, you don't need the exact name, but searching for this exact phrase:

80s "for Neiman Marcus"

That is the part of the label you know. and it will narrow it down ny decade.

6. Patentleathershoes

I just found one of our members has a Neiman Marcus dress.

It is Victor Costa /Neiman Marcus label.

Victor Costa

Another 80s name I found is Here are a couple other names i found

Soo Yung Lee for Neiman Marcus

Does anyone else have an 80s era Neiman Marcus dress with another name or photos of labels that might spark some memories or eliminate possibilities?

7. lipglossavenger

I searched that exact phrase and didn't come up with anything familiar.

The link didn't work. Would you mind reposting?

8. lipglossavenger

Okay... Found a Victor Costa for NM label online, and that's not it. The name was in more of a cursive script.

9. Patentleathershoes

10. Patentleathershoes

Okay.. i guess i was a slow typer...

anyways...another member might have another idea!

11. lipglossavenger

Thank you guys so much for your help so far. Let me know if you have any more ideas!

12. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

13. Patentleathershoes

Not the label she is looking for....but Carolyn, that is yummy!