1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help - absoloute beginner

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by premierludwig, Jan 28, 2005.

1. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Senti - I second Anne - really great and I've nothing to add except a little factoid. I didn't know about Amies designing for 2001: A Space Odyssey until you said that. A 1969 magazine I received today, featuring sections on the big male designers mentioned that Ossie Clark was supposed to be the designer, but felt he was being restricted and creatively stifled and refused to do it :)

Fascinating how these things pop up on the same day!!

Liz

2. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

Hello everyone. I'm going to put the first item up tonight as a featured listing. Now I'm getting worried about what to do price wise.

I was *thinking* £25 starting price with a £35 reserve (and the postage comes to £3.50)... I really have no idea when it comes to prices so would deeply appreciate some input on this as am quite lost.

Link to the dress I am putting up on ebay

(I have to add some more meaurements to the listing but apart from that it will be appearing on ebay as seen)

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

If you want $35 why not just start out at $35 instead so one bid (or more) will take it and if you get more GREAT!

I can't say the exact number you should start out at...I have no first hand knowledge of the designer so let someone else chime in.

Now on the featuring, that is a chunk of change and I might not feature unless I had a bunch of other items for people to click through to if that particular item doesn't fit them or is not exactly it for them. That way the expense is chopped down because it is advertising for many items instead of just one.

I would definitely use gallery though.

And I would post a picture on this board of it once it is up to advertise the auction.

I wonder what other input people will chime in with.....

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

PS featuring in US dollars is $19 or so dollars...so you wouldn't get much as far as profit on the dress...but like i say....wait for others to give opines.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would start it at 35 pounds, forget the reserve. It should sell for at least around the 70 pound mark...

Are you sure you don't want to keep it though? If that is you modelling it, it fits you perfectly!

6. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Senti, the minimum reserve allowed on Ebay uk is fifty notes (or it was the last time I used it) - so the 25/35 isn't feasible. Also, a reserve will give people the impression that the reserve amount is *much* higher, so if you use one, you might as well be sure you want to guard it with a high reserve.

Featuring is expensive (and I have to admit, I've never done it), but with searching so low at the moment, I really think it might be worth doing. It would be hideous for people to just not find this.

Liz has a lot more experience with this kind of balancing act with decent prices - hopefully she'll come along to advise.

L

7. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Also 'curtains', ie. lush, heavy fabric in maxi skirts is in for this autumn, so it might be worth finding a runway shot of something comparable to nudge people along - the UK market is quite susceptible to that kind of thing, I think.

Sorry, you already finished up your fine-tuned listing, sorry!
    L

8. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

Don't apologise! I'm deeply thankful for all the help and advice I can get! :)

Rather than featuring I've gone for various forms of highlighting. There's a real killer evening dress that I haven't yet photographed which I can always feature properly at a later stage if I feel the need to.

Following your info about reserves I've just gone for the imbetween starting price of £30.

Have tried searching through some websites to find some new styles similar to this one but I am deeply hopeless with modern fashions and haven't had any luck matching anything up. I will keep looking though and will alter the listing if I find anything that matches up. :)

Thanks for all your help, you're an absoloute darling! :)

And Jonathan - it is me modelling the dress, it does fit me perfectly and I am getting deeply attatched to the dress, but I promised my friend I would sell these for her, so if I want the dress that much I will have to get someone else to buy it for me! LOL! And the other problem is that most of the other dresses she's asked me to sell fit even nicer than this one! :( ...she has told me to keep one dress which needed some major repair work on it because she thought it needed throwing awy and I refused to let that happen. So it has gone off for a visit to my dress maker for some intensive surgery! It's a huge proper Hardy Amies ballgown that makes me feel like Queen Elizabeth I which is fabulous as she was my first role model when I was a little girl. :)

My mother seems to think I need to keep all of the outfits. I'm having trouble not agreeing with her! LOL!

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

9. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Hmmm, I look into a crystal ball and see a suspiciously recently created buying ID in you future... except that's against Ebay rules... rats.

Let one of us know if you suddenly can't part with them! We won't charge commission!

L
    (joke, mostly)