1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help date vintage Hawaiian shirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by PhasesVintage, May 27, 2019.

1. PhasesVintage

PhasesVintage Registered Guest

Can anybody help me identify the era of this Hawaiian shirt? I’ve tried researching this label, but couldn’t find any information on it. Material does feel like cotton, maybe a blend. There isn’t a care label, which (along with buttons/material/style) leads me to believe it may be earlier than ‘70s?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't think the shirt is vintage. I'm not an expert on dating Hawaiian shirts but I do live in Hawaii and have three books on Vintage Aloha shirts (and attire). The label on your shirt is not in any of the books. That doesn't mean that it isn't vintage but I don't think it is. The style of the font and that the brand was TM'd looks new(er) to me - not older.

I didn't find anything, either, when I searched for Nohea aloha shirts. Have you checked the side seams or the bottom of the shirt to see if there is care information - or an indication that a label might have been removed? As I'm sure you know, shirts are being made in Hawaii now in cotton and cotton blends in patterns that replicate the older patterns, and some of them have coconut buttons. I bought this shirt new last year for my (baby) nephew. It has coconut buttons. (It's a child's XS.)

[​IMG]

I bought a bigger shirt in a different reproduced pattern for his older cousin. It has coconut buttons, too. It's a boy's size 10.

[​IMG]

Let's see what other's think.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I agree with Linn. The font and detailing on the label looks modern. An older shirt would have a more substantial collar, and button at the neck, frequently with a smaller button & loop. Buttonholes would most likely be vertical.

4. PhasesVintage

PhasesVintage Registered Guest

Thank you for your help! I’ve just been researching and comparing to other shirts online. It doesn’t appear to have had any other label removed. It is technically a women’s shirt - so it might not completely match the style of men’s shirts. I purchased it from an estate sale where they had a room full of vintage clothing, so I figured this was also a vintage item because it looked like it to me. You would think there would be one match to this label out there (new or old) to compare, but nope.
    I appreciate the help though!

5. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

I found one that claimed it was 60s

"Vintage Hawaiian Shirt, 1960s Womens 36", Rayon, by Nohea, bust up to 36". total length is 22" inches, this Hawaiian Shirt features a full button front with coconut buttons, red background with coconut trees in tan and blue, short sleeves, lightly used condition, add 6.10 priorty shp. # wrs107 Mahalo!!"

6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

60s? No, can't see it - unless the seller has convincing detail shots, sounds like wishful thinking. 60s cotton Hawaiian shirts were not done in that light weight fabric - the cloth would have been opaque, with more body to it. And 60s Hawaiian shirts typically have pearly plastic buttons, or embossed metal ones. The coconut ones were early and then started coming back in over the last 20 years or so.

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i would also say that is a contemporary aloha blouse, not vintage. The label, as Maggie explained, especially, has a much newer look, rather than an older one.

it's really neat looking, it's just not vintage. (yet)

8. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member