1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating a Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jauntyrooster, Sep 12, 2010.

1. joules

joules VFG Member

Good call Joan, on the lace label! Make that silk, as HH would be more luxe in fabrication.

2. yes, I agree on the silk jacquard now....I worked for a fashion designer in the late '80s and we had lots of wonderful fabrics, very luxurious and similar in look to the one you have. Please do burn test it, to put it out of our misery!

Nicole

3. joules

joules VFG Member

I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but here's my HH. It's the printed silk chiffon blouse I'm wearing. The finish is a very fine merrow edge. I would not so much call it lettuce, which is different, more wavy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Okay did burn test on small piece of material and I am afraid I dont have a good answer. My nose is plugged pretty good right now. It doesn't smell very good for sure but I am not being overwhelmed. I could only get a very tiny piece of material though. I did burn another piece of material that I know is silk to see if they behaved the same and to see if smell was same. Problem is, I didn't really smell much with the known silk sample because of bad sniffer. Both seemed to flame up immediately then die out almost as fast.

I have to go see my tailor today or tomorrow. She is an old school tailor from Eastern Europe and is amazingly knowledgeable. May just take along to her - she can probably tell me in 2 seconds.

Hmmm - kitchen where I did test doesn't smell very good now - that I can verify!!! :)

5. joules

joules VFG Member

As you didn't note a hard black bead, I think we can rule out poly in favor of silk.
    I remember the shop on Sunset Blvd. I never went in, as I knew I couldn't afford anything in there.

Her version of "lettuce" is unlike most, as very gentle. I will get a close-up of the merrow edege. Generally, that finiish is done with knits, but not the case with HH.

6. joules

joules VFG Member

As promised, and I believe, you will find that the edges of your dress, have been finished, with the same treatment:
    [​IMG]

7. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Joules - it is really lovely! Thank you for posting and yes, identical treatment.

Thanks to everyone for helping me solve this mystery. Was about to list this dress at $25.00 so glad I checked in first here. I would have NEVER seen the words in that lace.

8. joules

joules VFG Member

Not to take away from your quite fabulous dress, I just thought it would be fun to see another example from around the same time frame.

Yes, a real good thing you checked; HH are highly desirable, wondrous things!

9. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Goodness no! Love seeing!

10. joules

joules VFG Member

11. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Labeled as Small. Elastic waist goes from about 24 to 32 inches. 32 would prob be uncomfortable though!! :)

12. UndoneMrs

UndoneMrs Registered Guest

Just wanted to add that mid to late 80s Holly's Harp started using polyester. I had a poly chiffon dress with that same neckline. Lovely dress ! I heart Holly's Harp.

13. joules

joules VFG Member