1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a Meeker Purse!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by angieonetime, May 1, 2019.

1. angieonetime

angieonetime Registered Guest

IMG_3953.JPG IMG_3961.JPG IMG_3964.JPG IMG_3965.JPG IMG_3952.JPG
    image.jpg
    Hi everyone! I'm new to your forum but am an avid thrift/vintage aficionado! Y'all seem awesome. Anyway, I got this beautiful little Meeker purse today at the Salvation Army and I would love some help dating it. It's genuine steerhide that's lined and stitched with nylon so I know it's post 1930. It has a Talon zipper and Rau snaps and a 1944 penny in the cute matching change purse! Photos above! I'm learning so much researching it as I always associated tooled leather with hippies, Mexico and the 1960's/70's. Thanks y'all! I think you'll be seeing a lot of me!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

The earliest newspaper reference I can find regarding this brand is dated 1928 and the most recent is 1960. That doesn't narrow it down too much, but gives some point of reference. Could definitely be from the 40s. Hope that helps !

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Do you have a picture of the whole inside? From your pix I am seeing older than late 1960s.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I associate those twist lock clasps with the 60s, though I'm sure they were around earlier and later too.

5. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

What exactly does the snap read ?