1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating a Pair of Antique Mittens

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lily K.Chadwick, May 8, 2016.

1. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Hi, I recently picked up the following pair of antique knitted mittens and was wondering if you could all please help me in dating them. I've found a few similar pairs from the 18th century, but am far from sure of this, so would appreciate any assistance you can give.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kind Regards,
    Lily

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Those are gorgeous! Do make sure you provide appropriate storage for them, as they will be worth preserving correctly.
    I found this museum website the most helpful, you may have looked at it already but this pair seem to be very similar. I think the photos are a little misleading because all the gloves appear to be shown on custom made supports and this is not explained, so it covers some of the design, such as the gold finger covers shown in your example:
    http://www.glovecollectioncatalogue.org/23402 A.html

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Lily K.Chadwick and lkranieri like this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Those are amazing, what a great find. I've never had the luck of find anything quite like this. They do look very early.

Lily K.Chadwick likes this.
  4. Lily K.Chadwick

Pinkcoke - Thanks ever so much for your response. Though I'd seen those gloves, I hadn't found my way to the actual website, I really appreciate the link! Also, as to storage, would acid free tissue paper and a card box be adequate for storage? If not, what would you recommend? Kind Regards

poppysvintageclothing - Thanks! I've found a few different examples, each with different details which are a match to those on mine and which make me lean toward late 17th century to early 18th:
    http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/pair-of-mitts-46304 - 17th Century - structurally similar and with a silver woven metallic back(would that be brocade?)
    http://metmuseum.org/art/collection...20&pg=14&rndkey=20131219&ao=on&ft=*&deptids=8 - 17th century - identical fringing, but otherwise not at all alike

Again, thanks ever so much for your comments and whatever help has/will be given, I've enjoyed researching these so much already!

Joji Furukawa likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Gosh those mittens are quite a find!
    I studied some mittens like this during my Churchill fellowship, and they were early 18th Century.
    The museum of Costume in bath had/has a fantastic collection of period gloves.

cmpollack likes this.
  7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The Bath museum of Costume will be hosting a lot of the gloves from the collection I linked to Gayle from 2016-2017, it may have been part of their collection you saw previously (belonging to Dents glovemakers). I hope to see this exhibition of accessories - they say the gloves will make a large portion of it so I think it will be stunning.

8. Lily K.Chadwick

sewingmachinegirl and Pinkcoke - Thanks ever so much for your replies! I was wondering if by any chance the Bath Museum of Costume's collection is digitalized, as I'd love to have a look through it!

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I believe not, but they tend to host major exhibitions consisting of lots of items from elsewhere that are online, such as the swimwear from Symmington (Leicestershire County Council) or items borrowed on a theme from the V&A etc.

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

THESE textile conservation podcasts should help with your storage questions.

cmpollack likes this.
  11. sewingmachinegirl

What a shame Melanie if they still haven't been able to digitise the collection! . They have most amazing gloves I have ever seen.

Lily- Check out the detail below on one of the pairs I studied, depicting the story of Jonah and the Whale.. These are from the Spence Collection at Bath, date unknown.
    Catologue number is : BATMC GLO 233 45

Picture12.jpg

12. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Gayle, those Jonah / Whale gloves are incredible, thanks for sharing!

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  13. sewingmachinegirl

Thanks MS its so good to share these things, I have thousands of reference photos from my Churchill trip back in 2005.
    The gloves were just so amazing- I spent half a day just studying the glove collection in Bath .:)

14. Lily K.Chadwick

Many thanks for all of you replies!

Pinkcoke - That's a shame! I'd have loved to browse what sounds like an amazing collection! Do you happen to know if there are any exhibition catalogues available?

Ikranieri - Thanks ever so much, I'll definitely have to have a look at them!

sewingmachinegirl - Those are absolutely incredible! I particularly like the detail on the flowers. Do you happen to have any additional photos of knit gloves of this era?

Lastly, the gloves arrived just today and are a little more detailed than they appear in photos, as the diamond detailing varied between gold and (slightly discoloured) silver! I'll try to get a couple of clearer photos tomorrow.

15. Wow. Amazing find.

16. Lily K.Chadwick

Better Dresses Vintage - Thanks ever so much!

Also, here are a few clearer photos, which though not as close a match as the original photos when it comes to the red colour of the knit, should better show some of the other details.

Thanks again for everyone's help, it's been very much appreciated!

Attached Files:

17. sewingmachinegirl

Great photos Lily!
    When I get a chance I shall look through my archived photos and see if I have any more glove pics to show you.

18. Lily K.Chadwick

Firstly, sewingmachinegirl, thanks ever so much, that'd be great!

Secondly, I happened to come across another pair which was in some ways quite similar to mine(on the website recommended) and which are placed at mid 17th century:
    http://www.glovecollectioncatalogue.org/23419+A.html

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  19. sewingmachinegirl

Hi Lily, Those gloves are stunning!. I haven't had a chance to search through my archived photos, but I shall get to it as soon as I can for you.

20. Slimewarp

Slimewarp Registered Guest

WOW those are absolutely stunning and in amazing condition from the looks of it! Were they an antique store/estate find?