1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a Schiaparelli purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Jun 30, 2019.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hello all,

I had the wonderful luck of purchasing some Schiaparelli purses,

I have done a little research but still having difficulty, I have seen one label in the label resource which looks identical from a late 50s sweater. The style of the purse looks earlier, possibly 40s to me so was hoping I could get some help from you lovely experts.

This one has pleated fabric (possibly silk or a silky rayon?) to the exterior and silk satin lining, it is a medium sized clutch, approx. 7 inches by 9 inches, with the beautiful faux emeralds and filigree detailing, along with two metal petal shape side parts, though I think they may be purely for decoration. The metal frame looks to be tarnishing like a silver would, did these purses ever have a silver alloy frame? There are no marks to indicate silver and I do think it unlikely.

It is difficult to find many examples of purses from this wonderful designer, the ones I have seen with similar labels are from the 50s. I am most curious to find out if it dates to Elsa's time or is post 1954? I was wondering if the 'Styled by' indicated that it is after the house closed down?

Please do help if you can.... IMG_2078.JPG IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2089.JPG IMG_2091.JPG

Adamina and Metro Retro Vintage like this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The shocking pink script signature labels are 1954 and after. She was still involved with the company but her influence gradually declined. I would have thought you purse is early-mid 50s if I hadn't seen the label.

GemGem likes this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

That's very helpful, thank you! Potentially it could still be mid 50's? Do you have any idea of when this style of label changed? This could give me a ball park.

4. Am I the only one thinking this label is sewn in poorly? It looks like a large hat label.
    I would think the label would be smaller or stamped in a purse?

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I do find the label stitching looks a bit odd.

I still do have a larger Schiaparelli purse available, mine is more of a handbag, not an evening bag
    This is the label on mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GemGem likes this.
  6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I think it may be a sweater label. It's also got an odd shape, it should be squared off. It really does look like it has been added to that purse, which looks older than mid 1950s to me. Here is a good example of a Schiap purse label:
    Code:
    http://www.bagladyemporium.com/BLU/index.php?n=Main.Schiaparelli
    Do you have pix of your other purse labels?

GemGem likes this.
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Gosh I hadn't even though of that, the other two I have which have labels also have the same label, there are a couple of swing tags too, though the swing tags oddly each have a price tag of £5000, which seems disproportionate unless it was for a dress set including the bag? I will take pictures and upload them now.

8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh also, the first label is squared off but it's on an inside pocket which is elasticated so it looked mis shaped.

Here are some other pics. The inner labels of the two velvet arm bags, a picture of the other four bags. The two smaller purses have no label at all and I was unsure if they were Schiaparelli but as they came together and used the same gold tone metal and aurora borealis detailing and have similar styling plus one of them had a swing tag attached...? I thought they probably were. Also pics of the front and back of one of the swing tags.

thumbnail_IMG_6732.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6733.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6734.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6734.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6735.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6731.jpg

9. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Thanks for the info and the other pix. That shape was really throwing me.
    So it looks like you might have a fabulous find!

GemGem likes this.
  10. vintagevixen

vintagevixen VFG Member

The hangtags look authentic. Could it be £50.00 with a careless decimal thrown in there, between the 5 and the first 0?

GemGem likes this.
  11. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

The hang tags look like they are in French. Maybe the monetary symbol is for Francs - before France switched to the Euro?

GemGem likes this.
  12. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

That's a really good point! It would make a lot more sense. I was wondering if maybe the larger labels could be because they are fabric purses with large inner pockets? I am slightly concerned now that they seem to have different labels to other Schiaparelli purse labels. I have seen the same labels on lingerie cloth bags by Schiaparelli but not one on actual handbags-but then again all the handbags I have seen have been leather ones so far so I do not have much to compare with.

13. Great find.

The symbol looks more like the one for Italian lira. 5000 lira was about $8.00 USD back in the day. If it was, as suggested, 50.00 British pounds that would have been the equivalent of $140.00 USD back then - unlikely for a change purse, I think.

14. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Gosh yes! if the period was indeed the mid/late 1950's £50 uk pounds would have been astronomical. Lira does make a lot more sense, or even 50 francs (with the decimal point being difficult to see) as was suggested by another member.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    vintagevixen likes this.
  15. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member