1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating A Wedding Dress (+ is it worth getting restored?)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Threadechoes, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Threadechoes

Threadechoes Registered Guest

Can anyone help me figure out the era of this wedding dress? 1950s?

It has no label, it's hand-sewn (with store-bought dress liners.) I think it's real satin. It has a very long train that I couldn't fully capture.

I would like to sell it and put some funds towards my own wedding but it has stains, a small hole, and one of the buttons is broken. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble and money to get it cleaned and repaired. I know you don't appraise, but I hope you can at least get put me on the road to figuring out what it is so I can figure out what it is (or isn't) worth.

Thanks!

IMG_5199.JPG
    IMG_5202.JPG
    (Kitty is salivating..)
    IMG_5207.JPG IMG_5206.JPG
    Hole is right on the chest, little smaller than 1/8". Boutonnière?
    IMG_5204.JPG IMG_5203.JPG IMG_5201.JPG IMG_5200.JPG IMG_5198.JPG

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Postwar rayon slipper satin wedding dress typical of baby boom generation parents, c. 1947 - 1951... They survive in the millions. We dont' accept them at the museum anymore unless they are AMAZING, worn by someone famous, or have a really interesting story attached, AND have photos of the original wearer etc. and even then we might not take it. I think we have 6 or 7... I would sell as is, for parts, if nothing else. Someone may want the fabric to reline a coat, or upcycle....

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Sad, but yes, very true.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

It' still a pretty dress. Sell it as it is, check Ebay sold items for an idea what this kind of dress may sell for.

If I may give a hint... you write "real satin". Please note satin is a fabric type and has nothing to do with the material content. For example, satin can be made from silk, polyester - or rayon as Jonathan said, which all are different material types.

Vinclothes likes this.
  5. I have great difficulty selling vintage wedding gowns, unless they are very special. And the expense at getting them cleaned, is prohibitive.

6. Threadechoes

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

MagsRags likes this.
  8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I also think you did well - particularly considering the flaws. As Jonathan said, unless a wedding dress is super-special they can be hard sells. Congrats.

Rue_de_la_Paix likes this.
  9. Threadechoes

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing your knowledge about this dress! Special thanks to @Jonathan for helping me to describe it in my listing!

Retro Ruth and Racked Vintage like this.
  10. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Given the small waist size, I think you did very well. I have had one of these cleaned, and it ran me $75 ( because it's a wedding dress and there's a lot of fabric!)