1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Dress - 30s? 40s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by craftycat, Mar 30, 2018.

1. craftycat

craftycat Registered Guest

Hello!

I just picked up this dress at an estate sale and I'm having trouble placing its era. I have a general idea, but the style of the dress isn't something I'm familiar with. It's a knit that I believe is completely hand stitched. The zipper is metal (Talon) and the teeth are smaller than your average zipper. There are zero tags.

I lost daylight, so the lighting is weird, but it's kind of a chocolate brown/maroon shade.

Any thoughts or info is very appreciated!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It is hard to date as there's nothing standing out as a tell-tale period feature. I imagine it originally had a belt, although it might have been paired with a leather belt. I think this is early 50s as the sleeve is almost a raglan shape, which is typical of that era. Also the silver metal zipper is more typical after 1950,also the boucle wool.

Sazz Vintage likes this.
  3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Early 50s is my opinion too, based on the placement of the zipper. ; )

4. Sazz Vintage

Sazz Vintage Registered Guest

Early 50s seems correct to me as well. The zip, yarn, and bodice co struction definitely speak to post-WWII. You can find a lot of dolman sleeve knitting patterns starting in the late 40s.
    Melissa