1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Paula Duffy, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Paula Duffy

Paula Duffy Registered Guest

I'd really appreciate some help dating this dress - there are no labels whatsoever, there's a size zipper and buttons down the front, and it's kind of a hairy wool material. The waist is slightly elasticated, and it looks as though there may have been light shoulder padding that has been removed. Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Those puffy shoulders and sleeves are looking like 80s... I'm sure someone more experienced will weigh in.

Paula Duffy likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

The thing is, the zip looks older... I would say 60s, though the remnant of a should pad isn't quite right for that - unless it's not that at all but just some kind of seam tape or something that was used to reinforce that seam...

Paula Duffy and 196t's like this.
  4. Paula Duffy

Paula Duffy Registered Guest

That's possible! It definitely looks & feels older than 1980s. I'll take another look later.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks c. 1977ish to me - shirtwaist style with deep cuffs, metallic finish buttons, below the knee length, mandarin collar... and it looks like a mohair blend material.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Paula Duffy likes this.
  6. applethief

applethief Registered Guest

Hi, can't help with dating but the piece sewn into the shoulder seam is not a remnant of a shoulder pad but a reinforcement to help fabric keep its shape. You sew these in at shoulder point in thicker fabrics that could get deformed (also in coats). Fabric looks like maybe it's camel hair. Lovely find!

Paula Duffy likes this.