1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melonie, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

Hello. I picked up this amazing dress yesterday. I have no idea why but for some reason it has a uniform feel to it. I am aware the of Hong Kong Britain dates, but pretty much all I have seen say British Crown Colony as opposed to just British Hong Kong... I wonder if it might help date it at all. Also help.. Is this absolute dry clean only?? I assume so but wanted to check. No overlock seams at all. One snap at top, rest of dress just button loop closure.

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks 60s to me. I would recommend dry cleaning due to the fact rayon often will shrink and also those type of ornamental fasteners may not do well being hand washed or laundered.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Melonie,

I know nothing about British HK labels,

Looking at it and I'm going on mostly gut feeling, it's clearly a uniform, my feeling is care home, not hospital although no reason why not a hospital, setting and possibly and solely for patient wear,

Also maybe destined for South Africa/Nigeria and the Hospital ships although that puts it out of the 60s reach and it does look 60s to me.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree that it's a robe or house coat.

6. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

Thank you everyone!!