1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating high waisted trousers

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 196t's, Feb 20, 2019.

1. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Good morning/afternoon/night,

Just bought these because they were just the style I was looking for. They're from Uruguayan brand "Arranha Gato", which I couldn't find anything about.
    The label reads:
    "Made in Uruguay
    Pure virgin wool
    Lining 100% acetate
    Dry wash"
    Any ideas on this one? Any input is appreciated.
    Edit: They have these "hanger straps", which I've been told are more recent.

2019-02-20 16.00.09.jpg 2019-02-20 16.00.15.jpg 2019-02-20 16.01.00.jpg 2019-02-20 16.02.04.jpg 2019-02-20 16.02.18.jpg 2019-02-20 16.02.39.jpg 2019-02-20 16.02.52.jpg
    - J. P.​

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. With the high waist and straight leg I think they are 80s. Look forward to what others say.

196t's likes this.
  3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

4. Attirelyvintage

Attirelyvintage Registered Guest

Arranha Gato translates from Portuguese to Cat Scratches. They appeared in the early 1990s with the rise of the Brazilian Super Models like Gisele. Apparently if I am getting the translation from an article correct they were straight out of Design school.

5. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Thanks for the help, everyone!
    Could you post a link to the article, please? If it's in Portuguese, I could give a more accurate translation.

6. Attirelyvintage

Attirelyvintage Registered Guest

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Given they are made in Uruguay but the language on the labels is Portuguese, I would think the brand is Brazilian rather than Uruguayan

Arranha Gato is also the local name of a Brazilian plant - scientific name Acacia Plumosa - becuase its thorns are like cats claws.

8. Retro Ruth

9. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Again, thanks for the replies! The first one doesn't have anything that allows me to date the brand, although it is in an article that shows inspirations for a soap opera set in the early 1990s (they're big here in Brazil). The second one, from 2006, mentions Arranha Gato, and that's it. The paragraphs below and above are unrelated. Here's my translation of a passage:
    [In the 1990s] the market starts to receive the first students graduated in fashion by Cetiqt Senai.

Actually, the language in the label is a mix between Spanish and Portuguese. "Produto no Uruguai" should be written as "Produzido no Uruguai", and "Lâ virgem" should be accentuated as "Lã virgem". About the plants: very interesting!

I checked their Facebook page, and apparently, they were liquidating their stock and selling the shop as of December 31st, 2018, even though the Facebook page was going to stay online.

Judging by the articles presented, I'd say the brand ranges from 1990-2006. All of this still leaves me stumped about the trousers' dating, though

Retro Ruth likes this.
  10. Retro Ruth

I didn't realize you are in Brazil! I spent time there in the late 90s, including passing through Minas Gerais

196t's likes this.
  11. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Awesome! I live in Minas Gerais' capital, Belo Horizonte.

Retro Ruth likes this.