1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Homemade Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by marianthelibrarian, Oct 1, 2017.

1. marianthelibrarian

marianthelibrarian Registered Guest

Hello! I am posting a few pictures of a homemade dress that I am unsure how to date. My guess is 1960s based on the style. Let me know your thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

3. Yes, agree with Cin: mid '70s. Probably shortened, may have been much longer even floor length originally.

4. marianthelibrarian

What about the dress makes you think mid-70s? I am fairly new to this, so I would like to learn what criteria you use for dating!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

In particular the flutter shaw collar. That did it for me as well as how that nylon zipper is set in.

6. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Also, the fabric looks like it might be a polyesters blend--1970's.
    Marian

7. Also the navy and white polka dots: it was a '40s inspired revival at that time. The cut of the bodice and skirt, the flutter detailing, the centre back nylon zipper. The whole look.

Is it just the hem that has been overlocked? The home seamstress didn't have overlockers until the late '70s-early '80s (depending on the region) and so if it's just the hem it's an update, if it's all of the seams, the dress might be a bit more modern.

8. marianthelibrarian

It is just the hem that has been overlocked, all the rest of the seams are unfinished.

9. Thank you: the shortening probably occurred in the '80s or more recently.