1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Lilli Ann Coat - 40s or 50s

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

Hello!

I am hoping someone will be able to help with the dating of this Lilli Ann coat. Unfortunately the coat is missing the label that usually appears at the back of the neck, but the fabric label is present. The coat is of a Lilli Ann style I recognize, but I’m not sure if it dates from the late 40s or early 50s.

A similar fabric label (though not exact) on the VFG Label Resource dates to the early 1960s. There’s nothing 60s about this coat to my eye, but I’m just not sure whether this is from the 40s or 50s. I ran some basic searches on newspapers.com but wasn’t able to date the coat.

Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Jennifer

Attached Files:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

With that shoulder line and body silhouette, it's 1950s. Could be middle or later 50s.

3. Jennifer Kietzman

Thank you, Hollis! It's a remarkably full coat, which does seem more like coats from the 50s. But then, this black wool with more coarse and reflective hairs (if that's what they are) coupled with velvet stripes are blocks seems more typical of earlier Lilli Ann coats, in my experience.

4. Blue Wren Vintage

Blue Wren Vintage Registered Guest

Oh yes I have had this same coat before, she reminded me of a judge's cloak. It's beautiful!

Based on the label that she had in the collar I dated her as early-mid 1950s.

My coat didn't have the fabric label inside, but she is a wool mohair blend :)

image_42850474-6dc3-497b-9b3d-73decf4e0f93.jpg

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. Jennifer Kietzman

Yes, she definitely has the air of a judge or a member of the clergy. Also, it's one of those coats that's all about movement, as there's just so much fabric! Thank you for your help! The label from your coat is the label I thought it once had.

7. Jennifer Kietzman

Thank you, Mary Jane!