1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating Melody Modes dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Central Coast Vintage, May 29, 2016.

1. Central Coast Vintage

Central Coast Vintage Registered Guest

It's a mixture of hand stitching, machine stitching and very small narrow serging.

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The more I look at this the more it looks like a costume piece, made up to look 1920s perhaps...the drop waist and fringes are trying in vain for a 1920s effect. The bottom skirt looks almost like a lining material and does not match the top part's fabric at all. Very weird mosh up. And the fringe, I am 98% sure was added at a later date. The buttons up the back are also odd..I mean, how would this be put on unless someone was there to button it up for you? So it must a step-in style, I guess? If it is a not step-in, why would the buttons be functional, would they not be only decorative?

Of course I could be wrong, but it is an odd one for sure.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I wonder if this is a clue to the origins of your dress. This is from a mid-1950's ad...
    MelodyModesPleatedBlouse1956Comp.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    carla rey likes this.
  4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I think Barbara has nailed it. I too believe someone has added a skirt and trim for a costume. Enjoyable and enlightening discussion.
    Marian

5. Central Coast Vintage

Central Coast Vintage Registered Guest

6. Kim Mibram

Kim Mibram Registered Guest

This top seems more like from the sixties, considering the length that was in vogue during that period. The ones that were worn earlier were mostly made longer, sometimes of hip length while this one looks a little on the shorter side. Though I think the top might have been altered, which makes it a little tough to time it right. Also, the buttons on the back have the same story to tell because they are placed at a distance as compared to the ones of the older times, which were paced close to each other.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I think this dress is 1940s BUT the fringe a later addition... maybe the dress came with another trim that had fallen apart or something and the new owners added it... or someone (in the 60s) added the fringe as part of the early 60s fringe craze.

But the dress sure looks 40s.

8. When garments are altered, it can be really hard to pick the trail and harder still when you're trying to read photos and limited information online. Most of us would be able to discern a lot more if we had it in our hand.

I agree with Lynne: I think this is a mid '50s top that's been altered. Great sleuthing Lynne.
    I agree with Melanie: it has a '60s/'20s revival look about it especially with the fringing and the back buttons.
    I agree with Barbara that the cotton upholstery fringe is an addition. If original, it would have been machine sewn on before the panels were constructed.

So on the available information, I think this was a '55 top turned into a '20s costume in the '60s by adding a skirt and fringing.