1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Mexican Blouse, Skirt, and Shawl Set

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

Hello,

I’m hoping for assistance in dating this set, as well as with fabric identification of the waist and hem of the skirt, as well as the shawl.

The drawstring cotton top features intricate glass beadwork, lovely pintucking at the shoulders, and gussets under the arm.

The printed felt skirt with drawstring waist has a silk (?) band at the top, lots of sequins, and a triangulated silk (?) border.

Do you agree that the fabric at the waist and hem is silk? Also, any thoughts regarding the fabric of the shawl? And most importantly, what might be the date of this set?

Many thanks for your time!

Jennifer

viva mexico.jpg front of top.jpg gusset.jpg hem.jpg shawl.jpg skirt detail.jpg skirt.jpg sleeve.jpg waist.jpg

2. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I believe that is a 1920s China Poblana outfit.
    I have a similar one in my collection.
    It's a beauty, especially your blouse.

Jennifer Kietzman likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is really lovely. I can see Frida Kahlo having worn something similar to this.

4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Gosh that is gorgeous.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Jennifer Kietzman

Many thanks for your reply! I was leaning toward the 20s, too, but really wasn't sure. I also wasn't familiar with the term China Poblana - thank you! Overall the set is in great condition, though I'm tempted to soak the blouse. The white could be just a bit brighter. Is this something you've tried with your own set?

7. Jennifer Kietzman

Yes, me too!

8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Indeed, that's spectacular.

9. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Jennifer, with all of that spectacular beadwork I wouldn't soak it, the threads may be affected.
    I have never washed mine.

10. Jennifer Kietzman

Okay, thank you! I'll follow suit.