1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating net lace blouse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Dec 21, 2020.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi all!
    I have tiered ruffled net lace blouse with puffed shoulders and fitted sleeves. The entire blouse is net mesh and net lace with snap closures at wrist and button/loop back closures. There are no labels. I've shown an interior pic as well.

The purchase tag said Victorian, however, I'm leaning towards 1930s. I've never seen a Victorian blouse with this tight fit, however, the shoulders have that 1890s vibe. I'd love to hear some more input!

Thank you!
    Brooke

Attached Files:

2. DaisyandStella

Here are the interior pics and a close-up of lace and button/loop closures. I'm not sure if I've seen those type of button / loop closures until 1940s..

Attached Files:

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The style looks very much early Edwardian. Hard to be sure without handling it. It sure is a beauty.

DaisyandStella likes this.
  4. DaisyandStella

Thank you Barbara! I haven't seen an early Edwardian this fitted - I'm an XS and it fit amazing, but I guess I've only seen looser tops thus far. Have you seen that type of button/loop closure on an antique bodice - could they have been replacements?

5. Brooke, like you, I am feeling cautious on dating this lovely top because what you're seeing on the centre back is Russian braid attaching those buttons. I don't think I've seen it used in this way earlier than the '60s. It's usually of synthetic composition, which also acts against an Edwardian or '30s date.

My first thought, like Barbara's, was Edwardian until I saw that row of buttons and then I thought (like you), very late '30s but the buttons have me curious. Can you tell if they've been added? Can you see by the stitching if that opening has been added or altered? If this was a late '30s I would expect there to be signs of an original side opening, probably snaps or hooks and eyes (a zipper would be too bulky for this delicate garment).

If the centre back opening is original, perhaps the braid has been added? An authentic late '30s small self-covered button row like this is usually secured with self-covered fabric rouleaux loops. Perhaps they were replaced? There will be signs in the thread and stitching and seams.

If the Russian braid is original, you may be looking at a more modern, vintage/antique inspired garment. Which would explain why the sleeves are so long.

Other clues are in the fabric composition: what is the lace and netting made of (synthetic, rayon, silk?), and how are the seams and hem sewn?

I hope that helps.

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

We sold a similar blouse except it was just the ruffly no long net sleeves. It was 1930s and labeled Carson Pirie Scott & Co. Chicago so we knew the date. It, though, didn't have covered buttons. They were teeny pearlized plastic but there was a loop for buttoning. I think the buttons on this blouse are a replacement; maybe someone personalized it for an outfit later in time?

7. DaisyandStella

Thank you Nicole! I'll investigate further in the morning and see if I can find any indication of a former closure. The mesh net and lace feel old - they don't have a synthetic feel - but yes those buttons really threw me off.

8. DaisyandStella

Thank you Cinthia! Definitely gonna look further at this in the morning.