1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating possibly Edwardian skirt and 40's? blouse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by emilyanneweber, Aug 25, 2019.

1. emilyanneweber

emilyanneweber Registered Guest

Hi guys! First time posting here and really excited! I've loved vintage for as long as I can remember, my dad took me school shopping at a vintage store when I was about 13 and I've loved it ever since. I've always said I wanted my own vintage store but never really thought it would ever pan out. I decided recently to give it a go, and have been finding some really amazing stuff!

I went to a garage sale yesterday full of antiques and asked if he ever came across clothing, he said I could look through this trunk he had full of stuff that he actually found in another trunk! Luckily it was full of OLLLLD stuff. Most of it really big or in bad shape or for kids, but I did pick a few pieces out. Two blouses and a skirt.

The skirt I'm REALLY not sure of, it's almost like a cotton canvas type material. No tags or anything, has snap closure on the front side as well as a hook at the top. The buttons, at the very least, LOOK like mother of pearl but I don't think they are. I originally thought it was like undergarments but I don't think it is now. Anyway, I honestly don't know when it's from but assume it would be Edwardian since most of the stuff in the trunk was.

The top in question, I originally thought was Edwardian but have now noticed it has machine sewn seams and that would have to be post 40's. It's a super light fabric, basically sheer, with super delicate lace.

Hopefully y'all can help me and enjoy these pieces as much as I do. I'll post the other top I have after it dries, I gave it all a good hand wash earlier.

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Machine sewn seams are fine back to the 1860s - they just get rarer the further back you go. The blouse is 1908-1910, and the skirt 1917-1918 and the buttons are probably shell.

emilyanneweber and carla rey like this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Yes, I agree with both Jonathan and MJ.
    Marian

emilyanneweber likes this.
  5. emilyanneweber

emilyanneweber Registered Guest

thanks so much guys! I appreciate it! :)