1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating rayon velvet 'granny' dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Nov 19, 2018.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi Everyone,
    I had thought 60s on this but am wondering if I'm way off. There is a short zipper and then buttons up to the neck. The business name was filed 1975....is it possible this is 70s or even 80s? Can't find anything with the RN. Also what words would you use to describe this type of dress. I'm drawing a blank.
    Thanks alot
    Lauren

Attached Files:

• bl1.JPG
      bl1.JPG
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
    • bl3.JPG
      bl3.JPG
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
    • bl4.JPG
      bl4.JPG
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
    • bl6.JPG
      bl6.JPG
      File size:
      67.1 KB
      Views:
    • bl7.JPG
      bl7.JPG
      File size:
      63 KB
      Views:
    • bl8.JPG
      bl8.JPG
      File size:
      52.2 KB
      Views:
    • bl9.JPG
      bl9.JPG
      File size:
      23.5 KB
      Views:
    • bllab.JPG
      bllab.JPG
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
    • bllab2.JPG
      bllab2.JPG
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
    • bl2v.JPG
      bl2v.JPG
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

In all honesty, it's really hard to tell what's going on with the dress, how it hangs... it's so dark. Just looking at the label and tag, I'm thinking maybe 80s though that manufacturer has been around for a while. What does the interior construction look like?

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hmmm. I had a dress that was quite granny-like (and au courant) in the late 70s. That's the vibe I'm getting.

4. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

not sure if these will help?

Attached Files:

5. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

The puffed shoulders are telling me it's 80s.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

8. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks everyone!
    Just a quick question re registered companys....is there ever a lapse bw business start and registered date?

9. It looks very late '70s to early '80s to me: about '79-81.

10. I don't know if it's the same in the US as it is in Australia, but here you can't legally trade under a business name until it's registered. You certainly wouldn't have labels made up in a name before it was registered: it's illegal, and impractical as someone else might nab the name before you (very small chance probably). Also most label makers, especially in the past, wouldn't create a label until you provided legal documentation proving that you were the rightful owner of the name. So I'd have to say (at least in my country), no, there is never a lapse between business start and registered date.

I registered my business name months before I started trading under it, because of all the set up activities. That's quite common.

In the case of this business, 1975 is when they registered as a 'Domestic Business Corporation' It could be that they operated under a different business structure type before this date. I couldn't find anything and it's unlikely, I think.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  11. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks Nicole!