1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating sort of sad condition but really cool dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by maltby, May 13, 2017.

1. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

I shouldn't have even bought this dress - it has little seam tears and holes in the bodice by many of the gems but it's so fun and unusual and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on dating? it has a metal zipper, is unlined, the skirt is huge and very stiff pleated and heavy. It looks like it had a belt at one time. It has a worn off tag within (last pic) so it's not handmade

thanks for ideas! IMG_9177.JPG IMG_9179.JPG IMG_9175.JPG IMG_9176.JPG

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Wow, what a dress! With the wide waistband and almost empire line to the upper bodice, I might place it to the early 1950s. Lets see what others think.

I think you made a good buy, depending on how much you paid. If it were mine, since the bodice is beyond saving, I might consider making it into a skirt. The pleating on the skirt is outstanding. Not that I ever recommend chopping up vintage, mind you, but that skirt should be worn and seen.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Barbara's dating on the dress...and yes, if you can't repair the tears in the velvet bodice, this would be a candidate for a great skirt.
    I can see why you bought it, I don't think I could have left it behind either because of that skirt.

4. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

thanks as always! and I feel better about it too :) It was only $12!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.