1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating Sun Babies of Hawaii garment

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nat Smoothy, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Nat Smoothy

Nat Smoothy Registered Guest

Hello,

I am hoping there is somewhere here who can help me date this garment and/or tell me a little about Sun Babies of Hawaii? I have only been able to find garments dated up to the 70s, but I’m not sure if they are still in operation.

I’ve attached a photo of the label and the garment.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Nat

17AEB665-486C-4D1B-BC99-C86C9B0BC6A9.jpeg C6B1C17E-D249-46A0-B3EB-1792BD7B40B2.jpeg

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I would agree with 70s or maybe late 60s.

Did a quick search regarding Sun Babies.
    Based on the eulogy of a local woman it sounds like they may have been in business as early as the 40s.

“In July 1939 at the age of 22, Elizabeth married Yoshio Kobayashi and reared five (5) children; Ronald, Jean, Harriet, Kelvin, and Susan. While caring for her children, Elizabeth did home sewing piecemeal work for "Sun Babies of Hawaii," when time
    permitted.”

I did find an ad for them from 1985 and then some sort of a workplace safety OSHA violation citation from 1995.

The inspection was performed at Sun Babies of Hawaii LTD on Sep 5, 1995. It listed its industry as Women's, Misses', and Juniors' Outerwear, Not Elsewhere Classified (based on SIC code 2339). The case was closed on Sep 5, 1995. The inspection type was listed as planned. The entity had twelve employees at the time

I don’t see subsequent records and the address for the company from the RN number registration based on a google image is now some sort of shopping plaza with contemporary stores

lkranieri likes this.
  4. Nat Smoothy

It is so cute! The label says 100% cotton, it has a firmer feel but not stiff

5. Nat Smoothy

Thank you so much! This is great information. You’re like a fashion detective - I love it.