1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating swing trapeze cut plaid jacket, 50s or 70s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by IsaVintage, Nov 21, 2021.

1. IsaVintage

IsaVintage Registered Guest

Hi! I need help dating this jacket. I initially thought it was maybe 1950s because of the swing trapeze cut but then i was able to peek inside the content of the slightly padded shoulders and saw they were made of yellow foam.. So now i'm thinking maybe 70s or 70s does 50s?

It has no maker label, the lining looks like it was hand sewn, they are a few hand finished details but seams are machine done. The 2 buttons at collar are of of nice quality and feels like glass. The plaid fabric feels like a wool content and the sleeves are slightly longer than 3/4 length. It is lined in a silky acetate fabric. Like i said above, the shoulders are slightly padded and are yellow foam.

Would love to know what you guys think!
    coat3.jpg
    coat8.jpg
    coat10.jpg
    coat1.jpg
    coat5.jpg
    coat6.jpg
    coat2.jpg
    coat4.jpg

2. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

That "babydoll" seaming also came into fashion in the 90s (I'm thinking of Anthropology - who takes influence and does a great job of recycling styles.). Do the shoulder pad foams look original to the coat? Is there any type of insulation between the lining and the outer layer?

GemGem likes this.
  3. IsaVintage

I remember that style very well when i was a teenager in the 90s, was a big fan of it. It just doesn't feel 90s to me or even mass produced or factory made. They are no overlock stitches and the seams are unfinished under the lining. Yes, the pad foams looks original (worn and yellowed) and no insulation in the lining. The yoke and the collar kinda look 70s to me.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

With all that hand sewing, it is probably home made, and I tend more towards 70s with that rounded collar and due to the colours.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    IsaVintage likes this.
  5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

No chance that the pads are replacements, right? It has a very 1950s look, and very nicely made.

6. IsaVintage

I believe they are original. They are hard to access unless i turn the whole thing inside and out (pic below) Yes, it's very nicely made and like Midge said probably home made. It does look very 50s, even the buttons feel and looks 50s. Does anyone know when foam was first used in clothing? I know 50s would be to soon, but i can't find that info anywhere.

coat1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  7. Those foam pads look very 80s to me.
    Before they were covered.

A puzzle for sure