1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating this 40's? bathing suit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by melanostalgia, Apr 22, 2013.

1. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Renee, what an amazing thread you started here- and I love the swimsuit, an the history of it that has been revealed here too!. If it must be washed- I would go old school with this like they would have done back then. Think lux soap flakes in cold water, gently hand washing, rinsing in cold water and drying flat in the shade on a towel, or what we call in Australia '"Wool Wash"' for delicates- again hand washing in cold water etc.
    There is quite a market for these kinds of suits I believe- I sold a bulk lot of NOS 30's swim suits last year to a UK buyer but of a different brand, they were made of lightweight wool knit- I think yours is also made of this. Mine were soft but kinda rough to the touch as you have mentioned.
    best wishes with this
    G

2. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I'm with Gayle--a gentle handwashing in Woolite (Wool Wash) or Lux flakes if they even have those anymore! You may need to apply the detergent directly to the most soiled areas and let it soak for just a wee bit.

I don't think, of ot were me, I'd try to remove the paint or whatever it is.... There's a chance you'd end up lifting color from the fabric as well or worse, damage it.

3. melanostalgia

melanostalgia Registered Guest

Thank you for the tips Gayle and Anne. It appears we don't have Woolite or Lux here so I will look into an equivalent of those

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

What a great story! Forgive my being late to the party, I'm just catching up on about 4 weeks of not being on VFG...

Melanostalgia, I think they probably moved to Argentina after World War II - I seem to have an impression that a lot of Germans did move over there after WWII...

Re. Woolite - that's interesting it's not available in Holland - we can get it here in Switzerland. But maybe you can get Perwoll in Holland? It's a German brand and would be about the same - specially made for wool and delicate fabrics (ok, I'm not trying to think of the very cheesy Perwoll TV ads now that I grew up with :hysterical:).

Karin