1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating this Harry Keiser gown.. 60's?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robin of Frocksley, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Am I correct in thinking this is late 60's? Apologies for the photos, I need to get it on a model. Also wondering what you would call this type of train? A double train? And I'm not sure whether to call the fabric metallic brocade or metallic matelasse. Thanks!
    upload_2014-11-17_14-9-25.png upload_2014-11-17_14-10-59.png upload_2014-11-17_14-14-45.png upload_2014-11-17_14-16-30.png upload_2014-11-17_14-18-55.png

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I'd date to 60s--maybe mid-60s, though? Someone who knows their 60s silhouettes better than me will come along!

Looks like a Watteau back. And I see metallic brocade, or maybe flocking--not matelasse.

I had a Harry Keiser dress a couple of years ago; here's some info from my notes:

Harry Kaiser’s original firm (with partner Millie Potowsky) was the Manhattan-based Paradise Dress Company, which went bankrupt in 1929. In the 50s and 60s he specialized in party- and formalwear, with his dresses often sold in bridal shops.

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would agree with 60's though I was thinking early to mid 60's with that scoop back. My definition of a train is that it has to extend beyond the natural hem in length though, whereas this is still the same length.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  4. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

It looks like an early 1960's dress to me and the train looks to be a Watteau train.

5. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks so much! Wonderful of you to share your notes, Carrie. You've all been super helpful on early/mid 60's and brocade. But the train? If it isn't a train, what would one call it? Thanks again.

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

You could call it a watteau panel.

7. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks so much:)

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

A little more on Watteau trains:

Trains: Watteau
    The Watteau train is characterized by the way the single panel attaches to the top of your dress, either at the shoulders or the upper back of the bodice. This train can be the same length as the rest of your gown so that it falls straight down to the ground, or it can extend out behind you for a more dramatic look. Since this type of train is not as common as the others, it can be adapted to fit many different occasions, depending on the way you choose to wear it. If you are having a destination wedding on the beach, and wearing a slinky column dress, a sheer Watteau train would look beautiful by adding just a touch of formality to an otherwise casual look.

I agree with '60's, but I think gowns like this were available until the late '60's - especially if they were offered in formal wear or bridal shops. The metalilic brocade looks like mid-late '60's to me but I could be wrong. I went to a number of formal weddings in the late '60s.

Linn

10. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of Watteau trains, I was under the (silly) impression that the train had to attach at the shoulders. Very helpful. I bet the dresses at the weddings you attended were fabulous.

Mary, I also love the bubbly on the label. So festive:)

11. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President