1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Vintage Levis 505

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by JohnS, Feb 16, 2020.

1. JohnS

JohnS Registered Guest

So I picked up these really cool acid wash 505s recently. But I'm having trouble dating them. I'm guessing they are 80s or 90s but not sure which. I wasn't able to find many resources on dating them. I know with 501s you can usually look at the numeric code on the back of the inner tag, but that trick doesn't seem to work for 505s. I would love to learn more about dating them in general. I've attached images below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Azuli

Azuli Registered Guest

Definitely 1990s.

3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

It would be helpful to see the silhouette of the jeans, but going by the label I would say later 80s like 87-88.

4. Ceiran Allen-Wright

Ceiran Allen-Wright Registered Guest

So on the label there is 012, what this means is that it was made in the first month of 1982 so January 1982.

For future context the first two numbers are the month the item was made in and the 3rd number is the year in the 80s in which it was made

So 058 would be May 1988 for example

If you see one that is four digits long with a 9 in the third position (eg 1098) it indicates its a 90s peice so 1098 would be October 1998, the same rule applies for early 2000s as well but it will be a 0 instead of a 9 (eg. 0704 would be July 2004)

For modern stuff it should begin with CW (eg CW - 4916), the last two digits are the year but the first two digits refrence to the week the garment was made in (CW stands for cut week)
    So 4916 would've been the 49th week (a December week if I not mistaken) in 2016

May be a bit late posting this but I hope it helps :)

5. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Never too late to give us great info!! Thank you!

6. NaoimiW

NaoimiW Registered Guest

The black batwing tag dates from 1991 to 2003.

This video helps:

I'm still learning which number is the date code myself, so this pair might actually be January 2002.

7. Iñigo Montoya

Iñigo Montoya Registered Guest

Basing on the Batwing Logo which was used between 1987-1994 and the pair's three digit 012 date code, I'd say it was manufactured in January 1992. If the back rivets are silver, they're definitely an early 90's pair. Nice find.