1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating vintage purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by MaryLC, Jul 17, 2019.

1. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

Hi all, anyone have an idea as to when this alligator purse was made ? The clasp reminds me of the bars on a roller coaster. Thanks !
    20190717_152739.jpg 20190717_152748.jpg 20190717_152816.jpg

2. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

Anybody know when this sort of clasp would have been used ?

3. I’m not sure about the clasp, but I do think the skin with those dots is crocodile.

What is the lining? Any markings or labels?

4. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

It's lined in leather, it's a Crown Bag. I know it's baby alligator, but just not sure when to date it. Crown was making alligator bags all the way back to the late 1940's. I'm hoping the shape of the bag and the clasp will give someone a clue.

5. Does it say baby alligator? I’m no expert but I was under the impression the small dots are remnants of a crocodile’s hair follicle. This characteristic distinguishes a crocodile from an alligator.

Hopefully someone will be along to help with date. I’m leaning towards 50s, but not certain.

6. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

Wow.. thanks for that info! I haven't seen many Crown Bags and I've only seen them in alligator so this probably is crocodile. One step closer...

7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Label close-ups, as well as photos of any other interior details are usually helpful with dating vintage items.

8. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

9. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

Does the interior of the bag help anyone to date it ? Thank you !