1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I would like any Info on this fur coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Virginia Laag, May 1, 2021.

1. Virginia Laag

Virginia Laag Registered Guest

Hi, I received this coat from a friend and I would like to know if anyone could help me with it. I tried looking up the Fur Company. I know it is a very old Company but cannot find any info on them. I would like to know anything anyone knows
    Thanks No clue
    Virginia

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree we need better photos of the fur. But it looks like a circa late 1930s -1940 coat, made of what used to be called "Hudson Seal" and other trade names for dyed Coney or rabbit fur, made to imitate seal fur.

4. Virginia Laag

I am going to try to get better pictures. Do know about what these coats are worth? I appreciate all your help

Attached Files:

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The clasp and the label looks older than 1940s, more like 1920s or earlier. But the length and style of the coat looks more 30s - 40s. Hard to see the shape of the coat.

6. Virginia Laag

Hi I tried to lighten picture up. I don't have a good camera. I appreciate all your help!

Attached Files:

7. Virginia Laag

The coat is really dark. I just don't know what to do with it. It is very beautiful but to small for me

8. Midge

Those clasps are gorgeous!

Unfortunately we can't give valuations here on the forums, but you could look up sold results of auctions like Ebay.

9. Virginia Laag

what do you think i should look under? Seal fur coat 1930;s thanks again

10. Midge

Probably the types of fur that Barbara suggested above as it looks to be a fur made to look like seal, but not actual seal.

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Are you able to get under the hemline to see if the back of the fur/fabric is actually skin or fabric?
    As I am seeing some red highlights around the edges this to me indicates it might actually be seal.
    Seal is endangered and it should not be sold online.

12. Virginia Laag

Hi again there was a very tiny rip in shoulder and i could see the netting. Poppys vintage i have silver calvin klein skirt suit from the 90's i wore once does your website sell this type of thing. I t was very expensive back then

Attached Files:

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't sell much from that period. Seeing the netting could just be part of the shoulder pad on the coat.