Help ID vintage spotted fur please?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Angie1212, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Angie1212

Angie1212 Registered Guest

Hello! I purchased what was described as a vintage 1940s Ocelot coat but I can't seem to match the pattern on the coat to any animal - it doesn't look like ocelot and I can't find an exact match online, though I spent the last two days looking. This is actually how I came across this forum, because of an earlier thread asking whether a coat was Ocelot.

The closest I can come up with is possibly Margay, because it's softer and more plush than Ocelot?

Can anyone help ID this?
    $_57.JPG
    IMG_7942.JPG IMG_7937.JPG IMG_7940.JPG

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hello, It does look like Margay. Ocelot and Margay are more closely related to each other than other cats and look very similar. They both have elongated irregular rosette shapes however the Ocelot's rosettes usually have some open space in between whereas the Margay's rosette lines are so thick that the space appears filled in or closed.
    Both Ocelot and Margay are currently listed under CITES Appendix I which means they are prohibited from being traded commercially without exception and/or permit.

3. Angie1212

Angie1212 Registered Guest

While Googling this fur pattern, I came across "Lippi" fur - and then I read the thread here about it. (!!) Could this be an example of that and not Margay at all? I live in the South and though I looked, I can't find a fur appraiser locally who'll be able to ID this for me -- can you recommend a site online that can do this? Thank you for your help & advice!

peaceful vintage likes this.
  4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Most definitely. I had not compared your fur to Chinese Leopard Cat which is also known in the industry as Lipi Cat, sometimes also spelled Lippi Cat, but the pattern matches perfectly, and while it looks similar to both Ocelot and Margay I believe you are correct based on your own google search, your coat is Chinese Leopard Cat.

As for sites that offer online fur identification I am only familiar with my site. I id through my site furwise and here too. Most furriers though prefer not to identify furs by photos online, they like to touch, feel, and determine fur type in person.

You got this one all on your own though as I didn't even think of it and was only there to back you up and confirm after you googled it yourself. Good job.
    BTW: Chinese Leopard Cat is the only one internationally traded. Most are listed as endangered species but Chinese Leopard Cats are allowed to be traded with regulation, proper permitting, and are listed on Appendix II.