1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identify the age/era of this Aquascutum coat label. 80s?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Julie C., Jan 16, 2014.

1. Julie C.

Julie C. Registered Guest

Hi everyone.
    I'd really like to know the approx age of one of my Aquascutum ladies coat. I thought maybe 1980s...all the labels I've found are not quite like this one. Please help!
    Ryde December 2013 564.jpg

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi Julie

Please show us the full coat, if you can. It's almost impossible to date something by the label alone.

3. Julie C.

Hi Ruth - sorry! Here's some pics of the coat. Thanks.

Ryde December 2013 567.jpg Ryde December 2013 565.jpg Ryde December 2013 566.jpg

4. Retro Ruth

Thanks - and sorry I should have said before, but are there any other labels, such as care labels or fabric content? They can be a big clue. They may be hidden in side seams.

ETA: I'm wondering if it might be earlier, 60s, but not sure.

5. Julie C.

Hi again.
    At first I couldn't see any but when I lifted the lining, from the bottom, I found two serial numbers by the pockets (one on each side - see pic. 2) and also a label inside one of the pockets (see pic. 1)...unfortunately no fabric care labels...I literally turned the coat inside out and checked carefully under the lining. Those are the only inner (and well hidden!) labels present. I guess it pre-dates the 80s?! These labels look pretty old to me.
    Ryde December 2013 568.jpg Ryde December 2013 569.jpg

6. Retro Ruth

Excellent!

I agree that label looks older than 80s, and the lack of care/fabric labels also indicates it's older (assuming they haven't just been removed).

The houndstooth check, the shape, and shawl collar to say 60s to me, but I'd be interested to hear what others say.

can you tell what the collar is made of? Real fur, faux?

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks 1960's to me.

Linn

8. Retro Ruth

9. Retro Ruth

10. Julie C.

I think the fur is real as I have a couple of faux fur coats from the 50s/60s and they have a completely different feel...this one is extremely soft.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

11. Retro Ruth

It's a really lovely coat.

Julie C. likes this.
  12. Julie C.

Hi Ruth - I'll be more than happy to submit the labels once we established the correct age :)

13. Retro Ruth

Well two of us have said 60s, I think if one more person weighs in and agrees, that would be enough!

Julie C. likes this.
  14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I wonder if you got in touch with Aquascutum directly if they may be able to help you zone in on the correct date.
    It has such a deep cut to the raglan sleeve. I am thinking it may be 50s rather than 60s. I am wondering if those last numbers
    could mean 1954.

15. Julie C.

Hi Mary Jane, thanks.
    I will get in touch with Aquascutum now I'm sure this coat is a lot older than I thought.

16. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

i think its 50s, and that the cut would have been a bit sleeker if it was 60s, it has an early 50s look about it, and i have only seen those fabric labels in aquascutum coats 30s 40s and 50s. also it has turn back cuffs, in picture 2 , one cuff is turned back past the lining, so that says 50s to me.

gorgeous coat, do you think the collar is original? i was thinking wouldn't it have had black buttons with a black collar? sorry, did i say the B....N word again!:duh2:

lorraine

17. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

do you think the 54 at the end of the serial number on the fabric label is the date? that would tie in with the queen mother.

lorraine

18. Retro Ruth

Funny I thought it might be as early as 50s, though I thought maybe late 50s, but then I doubted myself.

19. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

You can actually tell quite a lot about a label with Royal Warrants, as the rules surrounding them are very particular.
    Your coat for instance, cannot be earlier than 1952; when The Queen Mother first aquired her 'title' upon the succession of her daughter Queen Elizabeth II to the throne. (though it's likely the warrant was not given until a little later than this)
    Also the presence of the previous Prince of Wales' warrant means it cannot be later than 1972 (the death of Edward VIII)
    It's worth noting here that a Royal Warrant can be used after the death of the Grantor for up to 5 years, but must include the term 'late'.
    I also suspect the second warrant means the coat was made prior to Charles becoming the Prince of Wales in 1958, though cannot confirm this.
    You can contact the Royal Warrant Holders Association, who may be able to tell you more about the cut off date for the Prince of Wales's warrant. Strangely, they don't mention in their FAQ what happens when a Grantor abdicates...:rolleyes:
    http://www.royalwarrant.org/contact-us

tickeryboo likes this.
  20. Retro Ruth

According to wikipedia the Queen Mum warrant was granted to Aquascutum in 1952, see my link above.

I think the fact that is says "By appointment to the Prince of Wales 1930-1936" may be an indication that it was after Charlie became Prince of Wales in 1958. The 1930-1936 dates are there to show which Prince of Wales granted the warrant. Before that it wouldn't have been necessary, as there was no other Prince of Wales it could have been. Just a theory.