1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying Coat and Suggestions

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Matthew Emery, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Matthew Emery

Matthew Emery Registered Guest

Hello all. My Mom passed a few months ago and while going through her stuff I came across a fur coat and have absolutely no idea where to start with it. The only thing I know about it is that it was a significant purchase when my father bought it for my mom. The first problem is that other than the size, I cannot find another label. Here are my questions:

1. Can you identify the animal?
    2. Is there a way to figure out an approximate age?
    3. I live in Montgomery County MD, just outside of DC. Is there a place I could take it for an appraisal?
    4. Is there anything I should be looking for as far as its construction?
    5. If my pictures provide enough identifying features, could an appraisal be provided? Even a rough estimate?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics in reply below.

Thanks so much!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  2. Matthew Emery

Matthew Emery Registered Guest

3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there, My condolences for the loss of your mom.

1. Can you identify the animal? The animal is mink.
    2. Is there a way to figure out an approximate age? It dates to the early 80s.
    3. I live in Montgomery County MD, just outside of DC. Is there a place I could take it for an appraisal? An appraisal would outweigh or be close to the value of the jacket so it really would not be worth getting an appraisal in my opinion.
    4. Is there anything I should be looking for as far as its construction? It's corded mink. Pelts were cut into thin strips and crafted back together and have spacers in between.
    5. If my pictures provide enough identifying features, could an appraisal be provided? Even a rough estimate? We aren't able to offer appraisals here. The best estimate I could give you would be the response to question number three.

Thank you for your questions and please let us know if you have any other follow up questions.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.