1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying Dress maker

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ScarlettFoxx, Sep 23, 2020.

1. ScarlettFoxx

ScarlettFoxx Registered Guest

I recently purchased a dress at a thrift store that had no manufacturer tag. It dies have a union tag so I know it's vintage. Any help would be appreciated. 20200923_201447.jpg 20200923_201813.jpg

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Wow, isn't that a cupcake of a dress! I can't say the name of the company that made it from appearance. This is the 1974-95 union tag, and the letters and numbers at the top of that tag may help. If I'm reading it right, the letters are ABZQ, and I believe this is associated with the IGLWU local that made the dress. The 689626 may be the RN number, which would give you information about the manufacturer. The FTC's RN search has been down for days, but when (if?) it is back up, this could be your best clue.

Here is The Kheel Center ILGWU Collection from Cornell University's page on the locals https://ilgwu.ilr.cornell.edu/timeline/1974-1995-label-pictures.html
    Here is the RN database search https://rn.ftc.gov/account/basicSearch and again, the search is down right now.

GemGem, ScarlettFoxx and carla rey like this.
  3. ScarlettFoxx

Thank you so much.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Looks Princes Diana-ish - early 80s to me.

GemGem, ScarlettFoxx and denisebrain like this.
  5. Blondzai

Blondzai Registered Guest

Comparing the measurements of the dress, being a size 5, could also help get a better idea as to when it was made. I agree it looks 80s but if you want to post the bust and waist measurements I can compare it to some of my 80s prom dresses to see if thats right

6. ScarlettFoxx

Thank you! I'll try to get these measurements as soon as I can

7. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

This looks a lot like the dresses that girls were wearing to prom around 1983/1984. Or so I've heard. :)

denisebrain likes this.