1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying Pair of Silver Clips w Red Stones Signed "EB" hallmarked 925?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by helenheven, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I agree with perhaps checking with a Mom and Pop place to start perhaps -- a place that has been in business for a long time. And if they have a selection of estate jewelry in the shop, then it may be a good sign.

But definitely be prepared to pay an amount -- and the cost will depend on the type of appraisal as mentioned. If the first question to you is 'are you looking to sell', either proceed with caution or walk away. There shouldn't be a conflict of interest on the part of the appraiser, and that's why it's best to pay for his/her services.

I doubt that these are natural rubies, as they would be too expensive to set in silver in my opinion, but they could very well be a synthetic stone or perhaps a natural stone such as a better garnet or a mid-range spinel. On the other hand, they could be crystal or glass, although I doubt it.

The last is the easiest to tell with a loupe. Otherwise, you want the appraiser to test the stone (usually with a spectrometer, etc.). If your appraiser ID's these as any type of gemstone (whatever that may be), and does so just by 'looks', walk away.

ETA: Edited to add -- whatever you do, stay away from those "we buy gold" places, although I'm sure you already know that. :)

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

One last thing -- stay for your appraisal. For the kind you want, it shouldn't take very long.

However, if they're busy, then schedule a time. Don't leave them and come back later (in case it's suggested).

3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I do this with my local jeweler who does all my repair and cleaning work--they don't charge me to look at and evaluate a piece. But even $30 that you were quoted sounds reasonable. A full-blown written appraisal would be around $100 here, and is cheaper, I'd guess, than what you would pay out there.

Your stones "could" be real rubies, but they could be other gemstones as well....