1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! I'm struggling to date a pair of Marshall & Snelgrove Sandals - Late 40s? 50s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LuckycharmVintage, May 25, 2023.

1. LuckycharmVintage

LuckycharmVintage Registered Guest

Hello all! It's my first post on here after being a serial stalker and lurker for many years.

I have a lovely pair of Marshall & Snelgrove summer shoes that are really confusing me. I always find Marshall & Snelgrove shoes so difficult, especially because they span so many decades!

My feeling is maybe late 40's early 50's from the peep toe, strap and style, but I'm working myself up now as they seem a little 'slim' for 40's. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance! I am very appreciative :) They are a good, modernish size 5 and are made from a soft suede feeling material. IMG_7231 2.JPG IMG_7232 2.JPG IMG_7239 2.JPG IMG_7240 2.JPG IMG_7242.JPG IMG_7231 2.JPG

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

would you be able to provide a close up of the printed part?

3. LuckycharmVintage

Hello! Do you mean the label on the sole? Or on the toe? Thank you

4. LuckycharmVintage

Just attached two more pics :)

The polka dots are cut outs in the suede with the underlayer peeking through and painted.

Attached Files:

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Thanks for that. I think that these are approx. 1950-early1950s.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I see early 1960s, but am not all all sure. They are adorable.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I'm going between the two of you - I am thinking early-mid 50s, primarily because they are made in Italy. Stylistically, they could be earlier, but Britain has high tariffs on imported items to rebuild the British postwar economy, and the Italian shoe industry doesn't really take off until the early 50s, so I wouldn't go much before 1953 and they could date as late as 1957ish.