1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Is the a Wedding Shawl?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lddesign65, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Lddesign65

Lddesign65 Registered Guest

IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3235.JPG IMG_3233.JPG IMG_3237.JPG Hi, I was hoping that maybe I could get help with my antique lace piece. At first I thought this was just a very long table runner, but now I'm thinking it may be a shawl. Would this have been worn by a bride? I was also wondering what type of lace and time period. Thank you so much for all of your help. It measures 15 1/2" in width X 112" in length. The ground is s very fine netting and the design is incorporated into the netting. I'm not sure if it is a type of embroidery. The design looks to be trailing vines with leaves or stems with leaves coming off of the flowers. Butterflies are incorporated in the the flowers. The piece is a very light ivory. I'm not sure if more information is needed. Thank you again.

2. That's gorgeous. Don't know the age or purpose or even the proper name (I call it "net lace"), but I do know there are lace-identification/history web sites. Maybe you can start there? I think this particular type of lace is not actually lace at all, but embroidered net. It's so beautiful.

3. Lddesign65

Thank you so much for your reply and helpful information. I will look into a few sites and see what I can find. I really appreciate it.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Very lovely. It is tambour lace, which is a type of needle lace, made by hand or machine using a chain stitch on a net ground. Without seeing it in person and handling it, it is difficult to date that. My guess is early 20th century, but I am of course not sure.

The width is too narrow to call it a shawl, but it is a scarf. Nice to find one so long.

5. Lddesign65

Thank you so much! I appreciate the helpful information. It's so nice to finally know what this is!

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

It might be part of a wedding train. Tambour lace definitely.

7. Lddesign65

Thank you!

8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member