1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me date this dress please.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Better Dresses Vintage, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm sticking with my '80's does '40's revival. Even though it doesn't fit you - we can get a better idea of the way the dress falls. Thanks for "posing."

2. Hehe, this time it was my 7-year-old! Well ladies, I'm going to do one of two things. A. Show it to my best FB buddy (supportive friend and multi-purchase customer I have never actually met!) and see if she likes it. If so, I will gift it to her for being such a good friend to me. And if she says, "Not my style" or "Not my size," I will waltz on back to the theater and "trade it in!" (they don't seem to mind). or B. If I can't trade it in, I can just sell it on Etsy with full disclosure of our clueless status ; ). No big deal. On Etsy, 80s is still considered vintage. I don't agree, but hey, that's all right. How can my high school clothes be vintage? I still have some of them! ; )

3. Wanna see me in a REALLY nice dress? Check this one out. Hand-made in 1955 by my grandmother. Worn in photo #1 by my mother to her eldest brother's wedding, and then played with by me for the next 45 years and counting... The rhinestone straps were gone (I have them somewhere) by the time photo #2 (me) was taken in 1979...

MaeFloor111955019.jpg

CROPPinkLaceDressSittingFloor.jpg

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Those two photos are just beautiful! Both your mom and you look lovely in the same gown...that is too sweet!

I agree the paisley dress is 80s does 4os... the modified batwing sleeve is what is giving it away!

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I love the photos of you and your mom in the same beautiful dress! And agree on the batwing sleeve indicating 80s.

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you so much for sharing these photos. You and your mom both look lovely in that gorgeous dress. Next in line to wear the dress - your 7 year old!

7. Bunny

Bunny Registered Guest

wow! fabulous pink dress, you and your mom look stunning!

8. Thanks, everyone. That dress is very special to me. I wrote an entire blog entry about it -- "The Pink Dress." It's on my site, which I can't post here, but you can easily find your way there if you have a minute to spare and any interest in reading it ; ). xox