1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Naming Lace Style

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lapoubellevintage, Aug 12, 2017.

1. lapoubellevintage

lapoubellevintage Registered Guest

Hello!
    Can anyone tell me what the name of this lace style is? I want to say some kind of tape lace but maybe there's a more specific name?

Attached Files:

2. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

Hello. Can you post a close-up?

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a lovely jacket. Yes, a close up will help a great deal. From far away it does look like a tape lace. But then again, the solid black piping (?) looks more like a stuffed satin cording than a true lace technique. The airy threads look similar to hairpin lace in the way they are made, but again we cannot tell without a close up photo. And hairpin lace would not have that soutache cording (or flat tape?).

4. lapoubellevintage

lapoubellevintage Registered Guest

Here is a close up. Yes the thicker parts are more like a satin piping than a stuffed satin cording. Also just realized that I posted this in the label forum, whoops!

Attached Files:

5. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

Thank you. This looks like a generic knotted lace overlaid with a flat tape that also serves as a tailoring device and structural framework of sorts. It's hard to tell if the bridges are braided, needle-worked or just twisted, but it's a significant detail as it takes quite a bit more time to braid or otherwise manipulate them rather than simply twist them as the lace is worked. Although this is not one of them, examples of knotted lace are macramé, filet, tatting and Hollie Point.