1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help On A Burberry Trench Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lilac-Lane, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Lilac-Lane

Lilac-Lane Registered Guest

Hi Girls and Guys! Its been a while since I have been on the board but was wondering if you could help me with this trench. I purchased it at a thrift store last night. Does any one know how old this is? Can you tell me why the main tag doesn't say "Made In England"? The side tag with the fabric is faded and is not really readable. This trench has leather buckles and I believe polished horn buttons. There is also a tag inside of the pocket with the size on it.

I want to make sure this is 100% authentic before I offer it on the website. I am not an expert with Burberry so I am not really familiar with their details.

It is a classic, double breasted trench with plaid permanent lining. I believe it is a cotton blend. The wool insert also has the same main tag and the classic plaid.

I would really appreciate your help! Also, if authentic, what is something like this worth in excellent condition? The wool lining has one tiny hole on the bottom egde and needs cleaning, plus I am not really sure that it even goes to this trench as I found it inside another Burberrys trench.

Thanks a million!

Lisa :hiya:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

hi lisa!

not my area of expertise, but it looks good...the raglan sleeves sometimes say 70's

you should do well w/this, i would think!! yay!

3. I would say 70s too - early 70s. It is very like an early 70s trench that I sold a few months back. Good luck with the sale - you should do very well as I've heard thru the grapevine Burberry trenches will be the "must have" this spring.

4. Lilac-Lane

Thanks for the information girls! I really appreciate it :) Deborah, do you remember what your trench sold for?

5. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

I sold one in a size 14 Long about 6 months ago for about $200. That's more than I used to get for them. I think they are coming back.

6. Lilac-Lane

I would be happy with that! Thanks for the info! :USETHUMBUP: I have a special request for one but have never run across one until now. I want to be fair on my price since I got it at such a bargain. Yeeaahh!

7. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

hi
    the one you have there looks to be a 'frances' model named in memory of the original designer....it could be a 'richmond' but l dont think the fabric is right..l HAVE to see it to tell..(l used to be a buyer of these)
    l'm pretty sure its a frances and that would date it to 1982..the same as mine in fact!!

also they dont attract huge prices usually here as they are everywhere...unfortunately here at home..Burberry is not a make to wear at present as its a logo of celeb and 'chav's' !?+&* choice!!

hth...

8. Lilac-Lane

So you think probably 80's? Do you think $100.00 USD is to high?

9. Lilac-Lane

The fabric is a cotton blend canvas and it is a medium weight. I guess a medium weight poplin fabric?

10. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

WE ALWAYS 'CALLED' THEM A GABERDINE ...L THINK 100$ TO START IS FAIR, BUT WE COULDNT GET THAT HERE JUST NOW...

11. Certainly glad Sara came along!

Mine did not do very well, Lisa - it wasn't a Burberry and it was small or extra small.

What are the odds?!!! I just picked up one - more fawn than tan, and single breasted with the matching liner. Same labels and nova lining. The pocket label - it says Burberrys, London then Name: 16 Long N85A, Order E22985/9

Sara, I know the 16 Long belongs to the size, wondering if the 85 would refer to the year and A to autumn? Thanks!

12. Monk_Bought_Lunch

Monk_Bought_Lunch Registered Guest

I sold a size 4 Burberry Trench on Ebay last spring, with a starting price of $100 US, it ended up selling for around $450 US.

I believe it was from the early 80's?

13. Lilac-Lane

Monk, That is incredible! I listed the coat on my site for $85, I guess I should change it and go up a bit-)

14. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

not aware of a date on the code/label...but sounds right...

15. Thanks, Sara!

$450.00 - WOW - not too shabby.

16. Lilac-Lane

What if the code isn't in the pocket? My coat just has the size inside but no code. Does that signify something? Thanks Sara!

17. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I don't think age really matters with a classic Burberry trench. I've sold 5 or 6, and sometime you get questions about does it have a certain metal ring, or some such thing, but mainly I think people just want one that is in good condition that fits!

The last one I sold was in the fall and I got almost $300. But it was navy, if that makes a difference.

Lizzie

18. Lilac-Lane

Oh my word! I'll take it Lizzie:clapping: