1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please, what is this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Simone27, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Simone27

Simone27 Registered Guest

I have found this brooch in amongst my late mothers jewellery. I can not find anything similar on the web and I would like to know if it is worth selling or give it the the grand kiddies to play with.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction.
    I am in Australia so there aren't many people to ask.
    20200102_100357.jpg 20200102_100307.jpg

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I am not too much of a jewelry person so I would wait until some others chime in but it could be enamel - it's just hard to tell from the photos.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think it's an illustration of a bible story - The Angel and Balaam's Donkey. Most illustrations include Balaam as well, not just the donkey, so I'm not sure - but it does involve the angel stopping the donkey in the road, so it seems to fit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaam

As well as enamel, it appears to have marcasite pieces on the base and the 'flowers'.

Hopefully someone can tell you approximately how old it is. We can't help with valuations, but once you know more about it, you can check to see how well similar pieces have sold on eBay, for instance.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    GemGem and themerchantsofvintage like this.