1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help to date & identify pelt - possibly 1940s "I. Magnin"

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Gayle Atkins, Jun 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Gayle Atkins

Gayle Atkins Registered Guest

Hi all

This popped into my lap this week. It looks like it's from the 1940s. The pelt looks like shearling but is quite cropped and doesn't look like lamb/sheep skin, so maybe calf?

The label is I Magnin and embroidered on the lining is the word 'Duff'

It's a lovely thing - suffering a little on the shoulders (flaking) and has one button missing. I still love it.

I wonder if someone can give me a rough date and help identifying the fur. Thank you so much :)

DSC_0420.jpeg DSC_0421.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Is it heavy?
    Marian

3. Gayle Atkins

Hi - it weighs 1.5kg so not super heavy :)

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It appears to be broadtail lamb, if it is real fur. I am not seeing 1940s, it looks later to me. The shoulders area where it is flaking almost looks like this could be a good quality faux fur. Can you determine if there is skin under the fur?

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It has that 1970s "Safari Style" look to it. If it isn't a lamb fur, I wonder if it might be a good faux fur.

6. Barbara and MJ, I was just thinking the same thing. This could be faux fur, but it's hard to tell without seeing it in person and I'm no expert with fur, for sure. From the photos it does look a bit like faux fur, though, and I think it might be 1970s. Doesn't look like 40s to me at all.

7. Gayle Atkins

Yes - you could all be right. The coat feels like a cropped shearling but the cracking on the shoulders (it's difficult to get right to the centre of the crack) doesn't seem to reveal any skin. The reason I thought it was earlier than 1970s was the label; also doing a bit of googling suggests that the embroidered 'Duff' might elude to collections by Lady Duff Gordon but I think that her designs are much earlier. Thanks all :)

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

We don't have an I. Magnin & co. label in our resources from the 1970s, the two that look closest to this are one from the 60s and another from the 80s. I don't see this as 80s. I can't see that monogram having to do with Lady Duff as she died in 1935. Might just have been another client with that family name.

9. Gayle Atkins

Brilliant - thank you so much for your wisdom and advice. I think I'm looking at a 70s faux fur jacket now - how wrong was I :duh2::hysterical:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.