1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help... victorian? more recent? any advice on repair?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melonie, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

I picked this up at an estate sale. It was tagged as Victorian by agency doing sale but I know that does not mean much. Sorry I do not have better pics. The velvet looks amazing. No holes.. just coming apart at seams in shoulders etc... Lining has seen better days. Very small. 22" waist. Looking for any advice. Thank you for anything you can help with!!

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I would have to see more photo to be sure, but it appears to be circa 1909-1912. Edwardian era. What a wonderful find!

Can you show the entire length? And the back or the side? The shape of the jackets bottom area should give us some good clues.

Now that I came back and took another look, this appears to be a jacket for a ladies walking suit. Does it have a split back (?). It really is a gorgeous garment.

It is right up my alley, I adore it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    cmpollack, GemGem and Melonie like this.
  3. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

I added more pics. Color is bad because it is flat lay on bed and I have weird lighting in bedroom. It does have a split, like a tux with tails kinda. I was ecstatic it was still at the sale as it was several hours in.

Attached Files:

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

Nice! looks Art Nouveau to me, especially the metal elements.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks 3/4 length, so it probably had a matching skirt originally and is part of a tailored afternoon suit, c. 1909 - 1911? Similar to this:
    0e5a10650cda741cb5d3f1f8f8eed1ac.jpg

cmpollack, GemGem, Midge and 2 others like this.
  6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

omgosh, love the bee motifs in the embroidery!!! what a treasure!

7. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I am not clear on where repairs are needed. What is the fabric of the lining? Some photos of where repairs are needed would help us help you.
    Marian

8. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

Sorry.. it has been an exhausting several days. These are pictures of where it is coming undone mostly at shoulders. The poor jacket was actually hanging on a plastic hanger and the hook of the hanger was jammed into the lats on a closet door, it was so odd because the house was full of dress forms. I am pretty sure long term hanging like that is probably what caused the damage. My godmother is actually going to do the repairs. She has experience with working with vintage and fine fabrics. So it is being shipped off to Alaska this week. I will post pictures when I get it back. Thank you guys for everything!!!!

Attached Files:

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

me, too!! me, too!!!!