1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with 20s Embroidered Wool Lace (?) Dress/coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cmpollack, Apr 26, 2009.

1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Carrie, note the edit on knit type: it's raschel, not jacquard. C

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

"Raschel"? Wow, that's really a new one on me!

(Just looked up the definition, and it describes this fabric to a T--thanks so very much, Claire!)

3. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

I understand the references to the ethnic influences but I have been looking at this coat and dress and the ensemble might have been much longer since the hem has been turned up on the embroidery. It could even have been full-length which would tell another story. It may also have been made in the 1940's from blankets which was quite common at that time. The cut, style and length is quite similar to swagger coats and those pleats and the shoulders look right for the period. Those are modern looking poppers. That little bow is quite a statement.

The one thing that can be said is that it would have been pretty hot in there!

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Thanks for your interesting take on things, Vertugarde. Clothing from blankets, eh? I guess that was the make-do-and-mend mentality... The fabric on this is actually very thin and airy, despite the wool content, which is why "lace" was the word that came to mind to describe it at first.

I do think the hem is original, even though the embroidery is turned under. In keeping with the meticulous finishing throughout, the design matches up perfectly underneath the hem!

5. trellandjesus

trellandjesus Registered Guest

30s and absolutely lovely! The size looks generous.