1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a coat found at a rummage sale

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jesca, Apr 19, 2010.

1. jesca

jesca Registered Guest

Hello there,

I wanted to get some information about this coat I bought recently. I was wondering what era it's from (I think 50's?) and what its value is. I also wondered if anyone had any information about the maker/seller as I can find no information anywhere. Thank you kindly for your time x

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

It is really hard to say without seeing more detail. Maybe a close-up of the lining fabric. It looks like it was meant to be belted? I am waffling between older or perhaps 70s? In any case the value is very subjective. Probably not the best time to sell a coat right now. I would probably hold on to it until very late summer.

3. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

I'd agree about the 70's vibe. I've seen that colour of lining a lot in 70s suits and coats. The pictures make it hard to see any real detail though.

4. jesca

jesca Registered Guest

Thank you for your replies. I have taken more detailed pictures but only seem to be able to post one at a time. It has belt loops so yes it is supposed to be belted. I'm not sure whether I will sell at present but was browsing Ebay and saw some similar style coats going for what seemed like rather alot... personally I didn't think it was worth anything so am not really bothered about that but if i do sell it it would be good to have a guide price. No idea about the maker? I found it at an Angels sale in Wembley if that helps at all. Also the bottom of the lining is not attached to the outer part of the coat.

Thank you kindly again for taking the time x

5. jesca

jesca Registered Guest

picture

6. jesca

jesca Registered Guest

picture 2

7. Jesca, I think your coat might be from the late '40s or early '50s. I wouldn't put too much faith in prices on ebay - what sellers ask for their wares doesn't necessarily reflect their true values, just as what a buyer will pay doesn't necessarily mean much either.

Nicole

8. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Jesca this is just a thought and no evidance to support it , however could Glencowit be a fashion retailer, is W1 more a shopping area more than a district were a fashion designer work out of?

it sounds as if you from London so will know better than me.

If you could find work out a rough date then the local council might have some records as to who traded in the area, or even look in old phone book covering that area and time span, libraries often hold that sort of info.

9. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I'm with the 40's - 50's crowd on this.

Those inside ties were often used on coats & capes that had no buttons. They were so the lady could wear it open without it flying away, so to speak. My mom had an emerald green velvet coat with those ties that I remember from about 56? 57? I'm not sure when she made it though - she held on to everything for eons.
    Unlike me - Wish I still had it.

10. Pauline, W1 is an area of London - it's the West End, around Oxford Circus and a big rag trade location. I used to work for a silk manufacturer/wholesaler there in the early '90s. You often find it on English labels, particularly older ones. I have a '40s jacket at the moment that goes one further and says "Regent Street, W1".

Nicole

11. jesca

jesca Registered Guest

Thanks Pauline I will definitely look into that, part of the charm of vintage clothes (for me) is that these pieces of material were around when the world was a very different place to how I have ever experienced it. I bet The West End and Oxford Circus were amazing in the 40's and 50's. Thanks for your replies everyone x