1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating and occasion for this dress please 30s/40s work?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Jan 26, 2021.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi all,

I have another question regarding another fab vintage piece. This time it's certainly a casual wear piece but unsure or vintage era and whether it's a house dress or a work dress for something like factory work?

I'm pretty sure it's home made, or bulk made (not to a high standard) which would fit with it being for a factory or wash house etc.

I'm just as interested in everyday wear as I am with the fancier pieces so would love some help with this. The length seems a little short but my first feeling are that it is around 1930s/40s. There is a bit of the trim tape missing from approx 2 inches of the hem so I do wonder if it was shortened. IMG_4000.JPG IMG_4004.JPG

It measures 39" from the front shoulder to hem.

It seems quite a loose fit with the gather details by the pockets giving it a little shape (one pocket is a faux pocket). It is completely button up along the front. The buttons look to be hand painted with the lighter blue in the middles.

IMG_4318.JPG IMG_4324.JPG IMG_4330.JPG IMG_4334.JPG

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Midge likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks like a mid 60s day dress for an older woman that has also seen some home alterations.

GemGem and Vinclothes like this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I was thinking it looked like a house dress, but not sure if they were still a thing by the 1960s.

I wasn't sure on era, but now Jonathan has said 60s I can see that. I remember having a similarly shaped button front day dress, though in a fancier fabric, that I was convinced was 40s but people here corrected me to 60s and probably meant for an older woman - surprising how this style can be similar in different eras.

I don't think the buttons are hand painted, just that the surface has crackled with time.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    GemGem likes this.
  4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Before sweatpants became so mainstream across generations, I think button or zip front dresses like this were sort of ubiquitous for everyday wear. Easy to get on and off, even with arthritic joints that make back zippers a struggle.

GemGem, Vinclothes and Retro Ruth like this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It looks like the size is what used to be called a "half size", meant for stout or plump women. These half size dresses almost always were short waisted, as your is. I thought it looked more 50s than 60s, but the fabric and pattern do look more 60s.

Vinclothes and GemGem like this.
  6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thanks for such great info super troopers! I shall adjust the information accordingly :)

Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

The reason it would be for an older woman in the 1960s is that she was used to an earlier style and continued to wear it. That's why it is reminiscent of 1950s (you'll even see 40s styles made in the 60s). And the half size that Barbara mentioned it seems to be really fits with that. (Half sizes were shorter, narrower at the shoulders but fuller figured and with a proportionately larger waist than with Misses sizes.)

Vinclothes and GemGem like this.
  8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

That's wonderful info! It will really help a lot. :)