1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by NinaN, Jul 27, 2016.

1. NinaN

NinaN Registered Guest

Hello,

I was just about to walk out of a thrift store when I spotted this purse hanging behind the cash register. I fell in love b/c it looks so vintage to me, but...upon closer inspection, I wasn't certain it was. I bought it anyway b/c my gut told me it was special and I really am drawn to the shape and the handle.

Can you all tell me if there was ever a kit, (like the Anton Pieck kits or the little picnic basket purse kits in the 60's and 70's) where people made purses similar to this one?

The handle is GORGEOUS with it's 2 birds, but entire thing is plastic, except for two pins in the side hinges which makes me a bit leery and as shown in the pictures, there's a "Made in USA" stamp on the inside. As you can see by the stitching, the lining was hand-sewn, so there is no label. I'm intrigued. Thoughts? Old or new?

File Jul 27, 1 04 19 PM.jpeg
    File Jul 27, 1 04 45 PM.jpg
    File Jul 27, 1 05 21 PM.jpg File Jul 27, 1 05 56 PM.jpg ,

2. NinaN

NinaN Registered Guest

Never mind. Just found out it's from the 1930's! Woohoo!

3. Nice score NinaN!

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I have the exact same bag, but in white.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I had that one too, in a creamy white! I think I still have a navy blue one hiding somewhere! Great thrift find!

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Good find! I have the same bag and another navy popcorn crochet bag with Scotties on the handle. Not a great photo but a great bag:

[​IMG]

NinaN and poppysvintageclothing like this.